Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Green Man

Giant Redwoods

Our local campaign to save the oldest stand of Sequoia gigantica out with the Sierra Nevada, California, has reached a new height as our plight has been reported in the local paper and the press association have phoned to interview me about the story for the tabloids. The trees growing near my home in Perthshire started to have their roots flooded about ten years ago, and the problem has got worse every winter with two majestic trees dying last winter. The trees are on council owned land and they have failed to drain the land. At our last meeting we were told by the council that the reason why the flooding has occurred is that Scottish Water capped the drain ten years ago. So with pressure from the media we are hoping to get Scottish water to urgently drain the flood water to let out trees flourish again.
marigold

Good luck, a worthy cause Smile .
dpack

get proof of that
ask nicely
and
publicity is good or bad ,local press,local radio ,nationals if you can
apply pressure until it is sorted
i feel you may be on a winner here hope so
Northern_Lad

I always thought of Redwoods as the perfect tree to symbolise the USA: Immense bulk with no roots.

Odd you're after saving the trees and not wanting the land turned over for local rice production though... Wink
Green Man

Northern_Lad wrote:
I always thought of Redwoods as the perfect tree to symbolise the USA: Immense bulk with no roots.

I met and had lunch with the American Consulate last Friday to discuss these trees, and she was amused that these trees of ours are 'just babies' and that in the time she has lived in Scotland this was the first time she felt she had more history on a subject than us.

She was in our village to unveil a plaque for them, not just to have lunch with me. Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home