Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Treacodactyl

Glue

Over the last few days I've made my own knife, the type where you glue the tang into the handle. I've tried to make it as cheaply and as simple as possible and the only cost is the blade, which was about £4, and the glue. Given time I could have made the blade myself but what about the glue? Is there anything I can use to securely fix a metal blade into a wooden handle?

The two things that spring to mind are resin from pine trees and glue from animal bones or hooves. I could have a go at the resin but has antone any more ideas or has anyone tried making their own glue, something water proof and strong?
Alchemist

I've idly wondered about making glue at home from time to time, but never actually taken a serious look at it. There are a number of options I think, but i don't know how easy it is to make a truly waterproof glue without resorting to some fairly nasty chemistry. A quick dig suggests that a casein adhesive might be an option. It is 'highly water-resistant' rather than fully waterproof, but I suspect that would be sufficient in this application.

By all accounts casein bonds well to wood, but i'm not sure how well it adheres to metals, but that could be overcome by either drilling holes in the tang or by roughening it up to provide a mechanical lock.

The other main option is probably a rubber-based adhesive. Most rubber formulations use fairly basic and readily available ingredients. I've got a few ideas how you'd convert the raw resin/sap into what would potentially be quite a useful adhesive, but i'll have to do a little more digging first.

In the meantime, http://www.trueart.info/casein.htm should give you the basics on the casein.

A.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home