Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Nanny

goat milking stand

anybody ever made one?

i am going to have a go and need a (very) simple pattern that doesn't weigh as much as nelson's column
Rob R

Mine was a pallet cut in half, the spare boards used to fill in the gaps. Three posts & a leg with six-inch nails in each corner, boards with a v-shape in the front & two 6 x 1 rails along the side & there it was. Rather crude but as a 13-year old I was quite proud of it & it lasted 12 years (until the goat died)
judith

There's a wheeled one in "The Smallholder's DIY" book by Michael Roberts. I'd be happy to lend you my copy if you don't find anything better.
Nanny

Rob R wrote:
Mine was a pallet cut in half, the spare boards used to fill in the gaps. Three posts & a leg with six-inch nails in each corner, boards with a v-shape in the front & two 6 x 1 rails along the side & there it was. Rather crude but as a 13-year old I was quite proud of it & it lasted 12 years (until the goat died)

gosh- that sounds complicated for a female to make (she says batting her eyelashes in the direction of her husband who ignores her)

how did you keep the goats head in the v-shaped thingee or stanchion i suppose it is...
Rob R

I started off with a head yoke- before I learned how a goat with an eight inch head could fit through a 7 inch gap Laughing Then I had a chain stapled to the stand that clipped onto her collar, although when she got used to it she just stood with no restraint, & just a bucket for her food (on top of a small barrel). Still have it & could take a photo if you like, although it looks a bit worse for wear now it's been retired in the nettles for a few years...
Nanny

Rob R wrote:
I started off with a head yoke- before I learned how a goat with an eight inch head could fit through a 7 inch gap Laughing Then I had a chain stapled to the stand that clipped onto her collar, although when she got used to it she just stood with no restraint, & just a bucket for her food (on top of a small barrel). Still have it & could take a photo if you like, although it looks a bit worse for wear now it's been retired in the nettles for a few years...

i would be honoured to have a photo of your masterpiece

i have found a relatively good pallet and some hardboard that could fo over it

what size was your goat just out of interest....
Mrs R

judith wrote:
There's a wheeled one in "The Smallholder's DIY" book by Michael Roberts. I'd be happy to lend you my copy if you don't find anything better.

I heart that book love10
Rob R

Nanny wrote:
i would be honoured to have a photo of your masterpiece

i have found a relatively good pallet and some hardboard that could fo over it

what size was your goat just out of interest....

I haven't been able to get it done yet (left my camera by the PC the other day Embarassed ) Will take it, and a tape measure, this afternoon. Very Happy
Rob R

Sorry this has taken me so long, but I finally dragged it out of the nettles & took a few shots, minus a leg... the milking stand, not me

Click to see full size image

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home