Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
lassemista

goat poo advice

Sorry to be so graphic, but I couldn't come up with a more appropriate heading.
One of my goats is doing poos that are big lumps instead of the usual small round pellets. They vary from being stuck together pellets, to being quite sloppy, but not runny. She does not appear to be ill, and is eating for England as usual. Her kids and the other adult are fine.
It started around the time she had the kids 6 weeks ago, and I reckoned it was probably hormonal. When it didn't go away I tried cutting out the sugar beet pulp from her food, since I had started that around the same time, but that hasn't made any difference. She was then allowed out onto grass, which I thought might make the situation worse, but it didn't. The grass at that time wasn't very lush because it had been so dry.They have now been moved onto the other paddock, and due to the rain it was quite long. This seems to have made it a bit sloppier, but nothing radical. (And hasn't affected the other nanny)
I'm not sure if I should be more worried. She has ad lib hay, coarse mix morning and evening, and lucerne last thing. I don't think the lucerne has anything to do with it, cos I ran out for a couple of days and nothing changed.
Could this be caused by giving her too much coarse mix? She gets quite a bit to keep her occupied while I am milking her.
Any advice anyone?
Andrea.
VSS

i wouldn't worry about it too much. So long as she isn't scouring, and she is healthy and eating well, there can't be much wrong.

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk
Anna-marie

I am inclined to agree with VSS.
One of my goats often "presents" like this, and she is quite fit and healthy.
As long as your goat is wormed, and has had all the necessary vaccinations, I wouldn't worry too much.
Especially if her kids poo is OK Wink
If she is not getting too fat, don't worry too much about the amount of hard feed that you give her, but watch her when the grass gets a bit better after the expected downpours of next week.
Kind regards,
Anna-marie
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home