Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Went

Good news farming story

http://tinyurl.com/b4nl5ro

There is hope Very Happy
Rob R

I've just read the full story, good to see that he's mentioned the two days turning into one - that's particularly true when you're in a business such as his, taking produce through from farm to fork singlehandedly means you are doing the work of several people.

There does seem to be a lot of interest in being farmers but I worry that all the interest the press & colleges are drumming up will be like the horse world. I was once speaking to an equine examiner when I was at college who was saying that he was seeing so many students coming through but he knew that the industry wasn't there to support them when they were qualified & left college. At that point the college's have had their income and they're on their own.

There is also a lot of help and funding available for young people & startups in business, but that tends to end after a few years trading or the ages of 25 - 30. Really we need to be making sure there are entry points throughout people's lives. Not everyone wants or can start farming straight out of school and the challenges with working in such a high capital/low returns industry do not stop after a couple of years in business. I think there is still a gaping hole between start up assistance and established business support that will take out a lot of the new entrants, unless the market changes to support them.

I agree with Gareth and think the press do make too much of his sucess. It is relatively easy to do when you are in your early twenties and have only yourself to worry about, with all the energy that comes with it. I hope the optimism does follow through to real action and things so start to get better for new entrants, but at present it is still an uphill struggle.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home