Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Stonehead

Goodbye to the pigs

We’re culling our herd of Berkshire pigs, which I’ve mentioned on here a number of times over the years.

We have more potential customers than ever, but the overwhelming majority now expect prices well below the cost of the production and that’s not sustainable. On top of that, most expect us to be like a supermarket with pigs or pork available off the shelf, at the time and place they set. They don’t accept that if we have four to six sows, then we can’t possibly have the weaners or pork ready for them at the moment they decide they want them.

We’re not sure what we’ll do, except that we’ll finish our last three porkers and then I’ll have a few months doing a lesser workload around the croft. As I haven’t had a holiday since mid-2000 a couple of months of light work will definitely feel like a holiday. It will also give us time to work out what to do from next spring.

So, it’s goodbye to the pigs.
Midland Spinner

I've been following your blog for a while now - so sorry to hear that you've had to take this decision - but I understand your reasons and am only surprised that you managed to carry on for this long despite all your setbacks etc, thank you for sharing them with us - and I hope that you keep blogging even without Gus & co to help & provide inspiration.
Nick

I feel for you. And it'll get worse for those still keeping them, looking at prospective food prices coming up.
T.G

It's pretty crap when you work hard and think you are providing a good product to find out the market doesn't appreciate your efforts.

Chin up, I am sure you'll find a way through this, even if it's not apparent right now Smile
mochyn

I sympathis having made the same decision last winter.

I still miss them.
Bodger

I love keeping pigs but only have a couple of weaners every other year. If I was feeding soley bought in food to fatten them, I wouldn't consider even doing that. keeping justa couple of pigs, most people will be able to supplement their animals and I'm lucky, in as much as I'm able to obtain bread waste and a large amounts of apples and apple pulp from my cider making.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home