Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Behemoth

Govt unveils climate change bill

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/latest/2006/climate-1115.htm
oldish chris

Behemoth - thanks for the link Smile
Quoting from the Govt's website, the first aim is to
"Put the Government's long term goal to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 60% by 2050 into statute. How the target is defined and set, and how progress is measured and reported, are fundamental issues that are still being considered. Also under consideration are appropriate interim targets."

My first thought is that 2050 is a long way away, the Minister in charge of the final year of this long term goal is in the reception year of a primary school.
Wall Bang

Please excuse me , its just that I think that this government is spectacularly pathetic. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Andy B

oldish chris wrote:
Behemoth - thanks for the link Smile
Quoting from the Govt's website, the first aim is to
"Put the Government's long term goal to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 60% by 2050 into statute. How the target is defined and set, and how progress is measured and reported, are fundamental issues that are still being considered. Also under consideration are appropriate interim targets."

My first thought is that 2050 is a long way away, the Minister in charge of the final year of this long term goal is in the reception year of a primary school.
Wall Bang

Please excuse me , its just that I think that this government is spectacularly pathetic. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I thought a lot of this stuff had been sorted at Kyoto, anyway if they bugger around for too long the goal posts will have moved before they even start. We are just going to get taxed and nothing will be done with the money raised.
boisdevie1

This government and no other government has the guts to really tackle the whole issue. Because they know that most of the electorate don't give a stuff. I spoke to my mum the other day. She was about to fly to Egypt for a holiday. I explained the pollution that would result from this and could she not think about her grandchildren. Her reply? I NEED a holiday in the sun and don't care about my carbon footprint.
So that's the planet up sh!t creek then. I believe that people will only come to terms with this whole issue when it's far too late.
dpack

umm
without changes which would get any government lynched by both business and an angry mob who are not allowed to avidly consume or breed(much) it looks like more greenwashing to me
Milo

boisdevie1 wrote:
She was about to fly to Egypt for a holiday. I explained the pollution that would result from this and could she not think about her grandchildren. Her reply? I NEED a holiday in the sun and don't care about my carbon footprint.

Is that your real mother? Can you, like getting a divorce, become an orphan?
Andy B

A letter in the times yesterday about the expansion of Bristol airport, fully suported by government. Bit of a contradiction and as the writer pointed out makes it harder for the government to meet its co2 reductions, not the only airport they want to expand either.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home