Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
VM

Grass snake eggs - anyone know anything about them?

My next door (elderly) neighbour has found 13 eggs laid near her pile of grass clippings and behind an old metal panel leaning against wall. Her daughter has suggested they look like grass snake eggs and though at first she and I thought they looked a bit big, I have looked up pics on the web and think daughter is right.

A bit puzzling as we are right in middle of big village, bounded by several gardens rather than open land, much water (except for our pond) etc. I don't think neighbour is very keen on having baby snakes hatching out in her not very big garden - though they are not very well protected so I wonder if they will stay warm enough to survive and hatch. So I'm wondering if I should just leave her to put them in the bin, which is what I suspect she will do, or whether local Wildlife Trust or anyone else is likely to be interested or offer advice.

Does anyone know anything about them? It's a new one on me.

And though I think it's interesting, I don't want them to come and eat all my baby frogs, hatched from the tadpoles I nurtured!
dpack

try to find a snake fan,they will have the kit to keep em at the right temp and humidity .
Treacodactyl

Grass snakes will come and go everywhere so leaving them to it would probably be best.

If they are going to be binned (which may not be legal) then your local ARG would be the best place to contact - Amphibian and Reptile Group. http://www.arguk.org/local-groups
VM

Thank you - since posting have found ARG site and contact for local group. And yes, binning probably not legal - hope the info I've found will reassure neighbour rather than make her feel oppressed!
buzzy

Eggs in the open sounds rather odd. They are typically laid in the midst of fermenting compost heaps that give the eggs the warmth they need to hatch. Possibly these eggs had been unearthed by something?

Grass Snakes will travel long distances to find suitable laying sites.

Hope they can be saved - Grass Snakes are not nearly as common as they used to be, and need all the help they can get.

Henry
VM

They seem to have been laid at the edge, rather than in the middle, of a pile of grass clippings, but are also behind a metal panel leaning against a wall, so is dark and covered. It is possible that they were more covered up but that cats (of which there are many) from the garden the other side have uncovered them.
buzzy

They seem to have been laid at the edge, rather than in the middle, of a pile of grass clippings, but are also behind a metal panel leaning against a wall, so is dark and covered. It is possible that they were more covered up but that cats (of which there are many) from the garden the other side have uncovered them.

Grass clippings can get quite hot, so perhaps the mother snake had just chosen an optimum temperature - I expect the metal panel gets warm in the sun, and will trap some of the heat from the heap as well.

Hope there was a good outcome.

Henry
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home