Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Flamin'Panda

Gravity Light

Brilliant piece of engineering

http://deciwatt.org/
Flamin'Panda

This one item is about as ethical and sustainable as it is possible to get... please click on the link and have a look...

http://deciwatt.org/
onemanband

It's been on here before.

waits for link fairy. It's titled "It's blindingly obvious"
dpack

if they work and last well i recon they are a very good idea

having had a few wind up radios i would want to try one before getting several
Flamin'Panda

It's been on here before.

waits for link fairy. It's titled "It's blindingly obvious"

Sorry, didn't know that. Just wanted to show it to other people.

The Problem with wind up items is that for some reason in the third world they are not really liked/wanted. Also, need to put in a lot of effort for little effect.

I applaud these guys and hope they do well. Smile
RichardW

Also, need to put in a lot of effort for little effect.

The same effort would be required to lift the weight as turn the winder for the same output. Gravity is not magically adding power to the equation.

link to old thread
Flamin'Panda

What is brilliant is that it doesn't need a battery or super capacitor, the energy is in the weight. The gearing is very high, ok, a bit of effort to lift it, but no one is having to wind wind wind wind wind. All in all, I think it's super. Smile RichardW

Ok look at it this way.

We have known about this for 2 years. I would guess that they have been working on it now for about double that. Yet they are still looking for a mug oops sorry a venture capitalist to fund it.

The date for its availability have slipped back every 6 months. Its not exactly cutting edge stuff or subject to huge advances in technology.

If it was a good idea it could be up & running in less than 6 months with a dragon behind it.

It produces 0.1 watts using a 12.5kg weight (max allowed).

They want to price it at $6. That would buy about 10 watts of PV ok you would then need a light & battery but vastly more usable as a light source or a recharge point.
Flamin'Panda

What is your source for the pv at that price? RichardW

sub 50p per watt is available EVERYWHERE Flamin'Panda

Ok, just done my homework... yes, but you still have to buy the light and the battery. And when your battery has run down you are... um... up the creek sort of thing... It doesn't detract from my original post that this is good lateral thinking engineering and we, as a whole, need more people in the world like this.

If you look at where this came from, these guys originally took part in a competition to provide a light/solar power for less than (sorry can't remember exact amount), they came up with this. Good on them.
RichardW

10 hours of use of the gravity light could be had with 1 hour of sunlight.

The PV could out perform it every day of the week & twice on sunday.
Hairyloon

If it helps to put gravity into perspective for energy storage, then if you lift a tonne of water 10 metres and drop it through a generator which is 100% efficient, it would run a standard electric kettle for about half a minute... Flamin'Panda

You're all missing the point about the cost of purchasing everything. It was and still is a good piece of lateral thinking... it's a starting point, this is how changes are made to basic problems. I almost feel like saying, 'if you're so blooming smart, you come up with something better'... Mad Rolling Eyes Hairyloon

It was and still is a good piece of lateral thinking...
Not really; even when you're thinking your way around a corkscrew, to do it well, you still need to do your sums.
It is a gimmick; a fun demonstration of scientific principals. No bad thing in that, but it's not going to change the world.
Quote:
I almost feel like saying, 'if you're so blooming smart, you come up with something better'... Mad Rolling Eyes

Try this. Ok, he beat me to it, but...
Flamin'Panda

It might not change the world, but it might just make a few dark corners a little brighter. Wink Mistress Rose

The principle of gravity usage has been applied for many years. My grandfather had a clock that used the same principle to keep the clock wound for a week, probably late 19th/early 20th century. Nick

That provided sod all light, too. Hairyloon

That provided sod all light, too.
Yeah, but it provided sod all light for a whole week...
Flamin'Panda

Now you're all being sooooo silly. So, I wont bore you with a list of all the awards it has won, blah blah blah,'cos you'll only lambaste me for breathing on the same planet as the rest of you... grrrr (That's Panda talk by the way) Wink Hairyloon

Ook. RichardW

Crap products get awards all the time. Flamin'Panda

Crap products get awards all the time.

I still don't see why you think this about this product. The brilliance is how they have managed to get the price to what it is.
RichardW

Price is not everything.

It needs to be good value.

Not just in cash terms but in the use of resources.

I forecast that most of those that do eventually get made will not be in use 12 months later.

a, because its price was to low so too many corners were cut & they fail

b, it fails to do what is claimed

It can only produce 0.1 watt even if some one was there 24/7 re arming it it will still only produce 2.4Wh in a 24 hour period. A human can produce about 100 watts for short periods via a cycle & would only have to pedal for 90 seconds to make the same amount of energy. I bet thats less time that it takes to re arm the gravity light 48 times.

PS you should look at just what can be made for a pittance now days. Things that get sold in shops for say £50 actually cost less than a few pounds to make. Most of the money charged is profit for each leg of its journey to the shop.
Flamin'Panda

Price is not everything.

It needs to be good value.

Not just in cash terms but in the use of resources.

I forecast that most of those that do eventually get made will not be in use 12 months later.

a, because its price was to low so too many corners were cut & they fail

b, it fails to do what is claimed

It can only produce 0.1 watt even if some one was there 24/7 re arming it it will still only produce 2.4Wh in a 24 hour period. A human can produce about 100 watts for short periods via a cycle & would only have to pedal for 90 seconds to make the same amount of energy. I bet thats less time that it takes to re arm the gravity light 48 times.

PS you should look at just what can be made for a pittance now days. Things that get sold in shops for say £50 actually cost less than a few pounds to make. Most of the money charged is profit for each leg of its journey to the shop.

How will we know what the outcome will be, unless it is used and tested in the context/arena that it is intended for. And I think that we all understand the basics of manufacturing/profit...

Rolling Eyes
onemanband

Ok look at it this way.

We have known about this for 2 years. I would guess that they have been working on it now for about double that.

And in 2 years this has reached nearly a million homes.

How many gravity lights are in use ?
Hairyloon

Also this. RichardW

Both are brilliant. Flamin'Panda

Ok look at it this way.

We have known about this for 2 years. I would guess that they have been working on it now for about double that.

And in 2 years this has reached nearly a million homes.

How many gravity lights are in use ?

Unlike some people, who I believe are either jealous or have some kind of commercial interest in slamming the gravity light, I think that what you have posted here is also an excellent idea. Their business model is fantastic - and the product works. Anything that helps rid the world of kerosene lamps is certainly a step in the right direction. Smile
RichardW

Unlike some people, who I believe are either jealous or have some kind of commercial interest in slamming the gravity light,

As that is obviously aimed at me I will reply.

I have no commercial interest is any form of light gravity or other wise powered.

Why would I be jealous of a product that is rubbish?

My main gripe is that they spent two years looking for money to support this when anyone with a calculator can plainly see that unless they up the weight (to more than a person can lift), the height (limited by the room height) & its strength (limited by cost) then it wont provide anything like the amount of light needed let alone be a source of power to recharge items like they claim.
Flamin'Panda

It was aimed in general, but if the cap fits..... Bodger

You might be Flamin by name but why be Flamin by nature? You're just being rude to people unnecessarily. You've already told another member to shut his trap in another thread of yours. There's absolutely no need for your behavior on what is a genuinely helpful and friendly forum. dpack

Both are brilliant.

yep and cover all 24hrs
Mr O

You might be Flamin by name but why be Flamin by nature? You're just being rude to people unnecessarily. You've already told another member to shut his trap in another thread of yours. There's absolutely no need for your behavior on what is a genuinely helpful and friendly forum.
Perhaps he is just a little over enthusiastic?
Flamin'Panda

You might be Flamin by name but why be Flamin by nature? You're just being rude to people unnecessarily. You've already told another member to shut his trap in another thread of yours. There's absolutely no need for your behavior on what is a genuinely helpful and friendly forum.

I am sure that if, and I state quite clearly, if, I have been rude to another member, then they are more than capable of remonstrating with me themselves. As for my behavior, um, kettle, black.... One thing this panda does is always stick up for itself, not look to others to surround it for support, or go running to teacher every time some one so much as looks in its direction.
Bodger

Oh well spoken.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home