Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
fungi2bwith

Grayling

I thought I'd try for grayling last weekend. I've only ever caught a few small ones over the years and thought it was about time I caught and tasted one. I fished the river Itchen in Hampshire using trotted worms (from my compost heap). After lots of perch I caught my first 'proper' grayling of 1lb 13oz, which was right on the upper limit for taking. It was a magnificant looking fish and fought hard. I got two large fillets from the fish and simply seasoned with salt and pepper and lightly dusted in flour then fried in a little olive oil, finishing with some wild garlic butter I found in the bottom of the freezer.

It was very tasty, much like wild brown trout.
Gervase

I used to regard grayling as a proper pain in the bum when trying for trout on the fly in Hampshire, but after a few seasons I realised that they are a cracking quarry and much under-rated. And many trout waters will encourage you to fish for grayling at the end of the season to even up the odds for the trout (which compete for the same food and spawning places). They will take a nymph very readily, and worms are a sure-fire bait. Grayling can also fight well and are surprisingly tasty - provided you're prepared to set to with the tweezers to remove the pin bones or (as the French do with a lot of freshwater fish) sieve the flesh and make quenelles. Fiddly, but absolutely delicious.
dpack

worms ,needle nose pliers ,yummy
fungi2bwith

Grayling can also fight well and are surprisingly tasty - provided you're prepared to set to with the tweezers to remove the pin bones or (as the French do with a lot of freshwater fish) sieve the flesh and make quenelles. Fiddly, but absolutely delicious.

I found that removing the pin bones with a small pair of long nose pliers was difficult and also removed some flesh with the bone. So I gave up and cooked first then removed the pin bones after, once cooked it is very easy.
Cathryn

Gosh the Itchen costs a fortune to fish doesn't it? We bought my Dad a day rod on it once as a present. It's very different to fishing the rivers around here.
fungi2bwith

I fished a free stretch Very Happy
lettucewoman

My husbands grandfathers used to fish the itchen together when young men...they were very poor and fished to feed their families...generally speaking they fished illegally down by the woodmill in southampton. Im pretty sure theres a few stretches further upstream that are ok..maybe we should try for grayling....Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home