Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Penny Outskirts

Green Organisation Membership

Whilst browsing the Ecology Building Society's website, I found that they may ask you if you are a member of a green organisation before they allow you to invest with them.

We're not a member of any at the moment, although have been members of CAT, Greepeace and Friends of the Earth over the years. Perhaps we should be Confused

I though it would be interesting to know which Green organisations, if any, Downsizer members belong to.

I've put major ones that I can think of in the poll - if there are any I've missed, can someone let me know and I'll add them.
tahir

I'm a member of:

www.aecb.net
www.fwag.org

Used to be a member of (and will be again):

www.hdra.org
www.brogdale.org
www.rhs.org
Jonnyboy

Only a member of local environmental groups.

Quote:
Whilst browsing the Ecology Building Society's website, I found that they may ask you if you are a member of a green organisation before they allow you to invest with them.

That's barking, you could be a two jags driving rainforest logger with membership of the wwf.
gil

I'm not really an organisation joiner in that sense. Not at a national sort of level, at any rate.
ele

Soil Association for old times sake really as it was the first organisation I ever joined and noone had heard of it back then

Garden Organic (aka HDRA) cos you just have to if you're into organic gardening Very Happy

Derbyshire Wildlife Trust Because I used to volunteer there and I like to know what's going on locally

World Development Movement Because I'm dead against water privatisation in poor countries and other subjects the WDM are really good at campaigning on.

Never realised it was so many!
Lozzie

I am (currently) only a member of my local Agenda 21 group, but that keeps me quite busy Smile
sally_in_wales

Woodland Trust
cab

tahir wrote:

Used to be a member of (and will be again):

www.hdra.org

You, of all people, let your HDRA membership slip?

That's one I'm a member of, along with their heritage seed library scheme.
tahir

Just came up before we'd moved so left it, will definitely rejoin soon.
Andy B

sally_in_wales wrote:
Woodland Trust

Me too , best of the lot and you can go and see where the money is spent, that what put me off Greenpeace !
trigfa

Currently

CAT
HDRA (sorry Garden Organic)

I can certainly recommend membership of both the above

oh, and the RSPB which is generally green in its outlook and means I also get free admittance to Conwy Bird Reserve whenever I'm passing.

One problem with polls like this one is that you can seemingly only select one answer!
Penny Outskirts

trigfa wrote:
One problem with polls like this one is that you can seemingly only select one answer!

Hadn't thought of that Embarassed Shall I take the poll out and we can just have a discussion about it, or do we think there's a value in the poll??
Miff

I joined Friends of the Earth because they seem to make the most difference at a national level. I thought about joining Greenpeace, but while I agree with a lot of the direct action they take, I think this might stop the government from listening to them.
Goxhill

Garden Organic & thinking about CAT
trigfa

Goxhill wrote:
Garden Organic & thinking about CAT

I'd certainly recommend joining CAT. The magazine Clean Slate is usually interesting and the research work they've done over the years is certainly worth supporting
Treacodactyl

None of the above but members of HDRA, RHS, Small Woods Association, BASC, yes they are a shooting organisation but do a large amount of conservation.

And Downsizer.net of course. Wink
Nanny

we belong to the woodland trust, support the towerhill stables animal sanctuary, redwings, the ilph, the moorland mousie trust and have bought goats for africa for 2 years running for world vision

that plus the fact that most of our 32 animals are rescued means i don't think we can do much more though i wish i could
Arjan

Soil Association only..
puffedpride

Recently joined FOE..............involved in local group now.

Was in Sustrans for a while.

Was Ecology Party member 20 years ago!!
Beckyess

I haven't joined any really because I'm cautious about the 'extreme' side of things.
Becky
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home