Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
boisdevie1

Green porch

I'm toying with the idea of having a porch to act as a barrier between the kitchen and the outside. I'm not sure what materials to use which are green. For example, for the rood do I use tiles, polycarbonate (more light), glass (more light) or wood (won't last too long). Similarly, for the walls, I want light so do I go for polycarbonate, glass (single glazed or double glazed). I'm also toying with the idea of having a composting toilet system in a small room off the porch. Any thoughts very welcome.
marigold

Recycled glass from old window units? You'll probably get more users for the compost toilet if you use wood for the construction though...
boisdevie1

Thanks for that Marigold. I think I can get old single glazed units.
cassy

It sounds like a great idea. Very Happy

Have you seen this website? There's lots of info about comparing one building material with another.

Locally sourced recycled stuff has got to be a good start though.

The porch I've designed for our house (but not built yet) has the following features -
-Big enough to allow wheelchair / pushchair in and to shut the outside door, so that the porch acts as an air-lock. The house get pre-warmed air from the porch and never cold air direct from outside.
- Orientated so that the prevailing wind does not blow in the porch door.
- Solid roof covering (as I was concerned about maintaining overhead glass in the long term) but walls half-glazed all the way round (inc. door). I'm going to use deep window sills to bring on seedlings and this should be sufficient light.
- I decided on single glazed glass because of cost, mostly. The porch will not be heated and it's outside of the house 'envelope', so I'm not worried about keeping heat in. It will be cold in winter but should still pre-warm the air slightly.
- Enough space to hang wet coats and boots.
- The porch is south facing, so should get the benefit of passive solar gain. On the north side of the house (back-door) the porch is much smaller, will be timber clad (same as house) with only a small window to light the porch. It will stop the wind blowing directly into the house and provide an area of still air outside the house, but I don't expect it to have the same pre-warming effect as the south-facing porch.

No idea if it will work as planned as we haven't even started building the house yet. Rolling Eyes

Hope your design works for you Very Happy
resistance is fertile

Just a note.

Please bear in mind 800mm height and door/beside door glass regulations regarding safety glazing.

I only point this out as if you are using older or second hand units these might not be what you need, so check before you buy.
Mutton

Cassy - just a thought - if you are planning to hang wet coats in your porch (we're planning a back door porch too) - then
1. Can you put a drainage runnel in the flooring for drips from soaking waterproofs to run away along.
2. I'd think of space for coats and add more Smile - so you can really spread them out.
3. Possibly a power socket so in long wet weather you could put a dehumidifier out there to dry the coats.
cassy

I like your points 1 and 2 very much Mutton - good thinking!

Can't do number 3 as we're off grid. I'll have to try to ventilate the porch as much as I can and spread the coats out well. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home