Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
chez

Green roof on shed/summerhouse

Can anyone point me to a DIY green roof guide for a shed?

We've got permission to put up a summerhouse in the corner of the garden and I'd like it to have a green roof. Looking online, there are loads of companies who want to sell me a sedum mat, but I was hoping to find info about actually home-engineering one and what side supports etc I should spec for.

I'm thinking an absolute maximum of 10 feet by 8 feet and I can get sleepers to act as a base to screw everything to; I was thinking I could use metaposts on top of them.
sean

Re: Green roof on shed/summerhouse

...I was thinking I could use metaposts on top of them.

Is that like a post that's not really there but is suggested by the rest of the shed?
mousjoos

Re: Green roof on shed/summerhouse

...I was thinking I could use metaposts on top of them.

Is that like a post that's not really there but is suggested by the rest of the shed?

Oh God...getting all metaphysical on a Sunday...where will it all end ?!
onemanband

Personally I don't think it's a good idea. All that extra weight, extra timber to support the weight, the potential for the shed to rot and maintenance. Plant some climbers instead.
But if you insist here's a simple guide
Liking steps 4 and 12.
chez

Yeah, I'm looking to price up the extra timber for it, OMB, I want to do it if it's a cost-effective thing, not just for the hell of it. Thanks, I will look at the links. chez

That's only for a little shed - it looks really nice, is it yours?

I want to sort out an eight by ten structure of some kind, including a little veranda, to act as a spare room for guests and/or helpxers. As passing ideas go, I think that it will be easier for us to buy a small summerhouse, maybe second hand, and do it up, than faff around designing and building something strong enough to take a green roof from scratch. Despite the niceness of it all Sad
onemanband

No nothing to do with me.
I guess the principles would apply to a larger shed.
As I've said on previous shed threads - buying the timber costs almost as much as buying a ready made shed - tho you tend to get a sturdier shed if DIY'd.

Thinking about it - shed felt lasts 5-10 years, pond liner lasts 20(?) years, so maybe it could be less maintenance.

OTOH 8x10 roof = 2.4m x 3m x say 0.1m(4 inches) deep = 0.72cubic metres = 720kg if it was filled with water. I appreciate the water should drain away, but if the soil is saturated you could have half a ton on your roof.
chez

Yeah, it's doing it properly that's worrying me. Which will clearly make anyone who actually knows me IRL life die laughing ... onemanband

I'm not saying it can't be done, but yeah, it would need to be done properly. dpack

im for the light roof and climbers option having had what i thought enough sticks give way under a wet green roof Wink

a see through skin of say twin wall polycarbonate and climbers gives light,greenery and wont collapse when it rains
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home