Green Rosie's Tangy Lemon Cake
- 125g/4oz butter
- 175g/6oz sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 beaten eggs
- 175g/6oz SR flour
- A little milk
- 50g/2oz sugar
- Cream butter, sugar and lemon rind until fluffy
- Gradually beat in eggs
- Mix in flour and enough milk to make a soft mixture that drops off the spoon when gently shaken
- Place in a greased 1kg/2lb loaf tin (I find a piece of greaseproof paper in the bottom helps in getting the cake out)
- Bake at Gas 4, 350F, 180C for 45-50mins.
- Just before the cake comes out of the oven make a lemon syrup. Heat the lemon juice and sugar until dissolved.
- Once the cake is out of the oven pierce all with a skewer.
- Pour the lemon syrup into the holes and allow to soak into the cake.
- Leave in the tin 'til cold.