Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Nick

Greenhouse supplier

Anyone know of a good greenhouse supplier?
Want a 6x8 foot one. And I’m planning on polycarbonate, rather than glass. Any reason this is a bad plan?
Ty Gwyn

If your in a windy area its a good plan,

Is Wyevale garden centre still on the outskirts of Hereford,Brecon side?
derbyshiredowser

I had a 6x8 halls greenhouse from these people with a base , easy to deal with and speak to. The only thing now is the eves heights on 6x8s aren't as high as they used to be.
https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/
dpack

poly is safer and stronger than glass

it can scratch if harshly cleaned but it is better for wind , better for a broom handle or a flapping door.

if it is very windy fastening the whole thing to the floor should be considered carefully, a strong greenhouse doing a tumble weed impersonation is no better than on the site wreckage of a fragile one
Nick

If your in a windy area its a good plan,

Is Wyevale garden centre still on the outskirts of Hereford,Brecon side?

It is. I was there today. (Buying water)
gregotyn

If you are in a very windy position it would be an idea to peg down the green house as suggested, using a cargo net to hold it in situ perhaps?
Ty Gwyn

Do people really just place greenhouses on a base without securing?

Concrete screw bolts will hold it down,and a course or 2 of concrete blocks will gain you height and raise the bed height if one runs blocks around the inside to form raised beds.
Nick

Hm. A layer of blocks isn’t an awful idea. Thanks. I’ve some concrete bolts I was planning on using but it’s a very sheltered spot.
Shan

You will need to think of the door. It will either have to be on a layer of bricks or you will have to adjust the door that comes with the greenhouse or make a custom one. I wouldn’t get the door on bricks as it makes it a pita to pressure wash and clean out.
Shan

I would also say, that from past experience, a raised bed is more work than it is worth. I have found pots combined with a grow tray to be very productive and if you get some sort of nasty beastie in the soil, it's easier to deal with and to clean. It also gives you flexibility in the lay out of your space.
Ty Gwyn

Naturally one would leave a drain hole below the door for washing out and drainage.
Shan

I have a drain hole and it gets clogged up extremely quickly. There is a lot of muck that comes out of the yearly pressure washing. Easier to wash it all out the door.
Ty Gwyn

Then either your drain hole is not big enough or the floor isn't sloping enough towards it,imagine if my drain hole in the cowshed wasn't big enough after washing out after cleaning behind 10 cows.
Shan

3 inches in diameter. 2 of them. It's about the volume of soil and clumpy bits of organic matter. I can fill a wheelbarrow with what gets washed out the greenhouse.
Nick

Well. We can’t have a pressure washer, so that won’t be an issue.
Ty Gwyn

Do you have a problem with water supply,your mention of buying water in Wyevale?
Nick

Do you have a problem with water supply,your mention of buying water in Wyevale?

He.

Well. We’re on a well. So we have infinite, free water, BUT with zero pressure. Gravity fed from the loft. It makes a pressure washer a non starter.

The water I was buying at Wyevale was for my fish tank. So. The two are unrelated Smile
Ty Gwyn

I haven't looked at pressure washers for years since I bought this old one from a dairy farm for washing out the parlour,its a 15l per minute in a barrow frame,but it works on suction,fill a drum and away to go,no idea if available these days ,but don`t see why not. Shan

Good God... you need something with volumes of water spray capacity to clean a greenhouse! Laughing Ty Gwyn

Like what capacity?this one will knock you off your feet if your not ready for the surge,if it lifts trodden in manure it will demolish a greenhouse if your not careful Shan

Sounds rather forceful! gregotyn

I have a similar pressure washer, which I put the intake into a 45gal. former oil drum and is filled f.o.c. c/o the sky, here in wet Wales, and lasts till I have had enough! However, unlike Ty Gwyn, I am able to stay solidly on the ground-due to excess eating as a child.
If I lived outside the Welsh water fall area I would get another oil drum. I have an 1000lit. IBC available to fill if needed.
Ty Gwyn

That`s the type Gregotyn,its the initial surge when knocked on that one must hold the lance firm firstly,my lance is just a metal pipe that came with a pressure nozzle on the end,modern lances one can change from spot pressure to spray.
Do they sell pressure washers where you work Gregotyn?
Nick

Sounds like the kind of thing I need. Can anyone advise how you would tell if a pressure washer can work like this (from a description). They talk longingly about how much they put out, but not about input requirements. Be really handy. dpack

can be fed from a water butt is a phrase i have seen.

some claim to be able to use any water supply low pressure piped or from a water butt or pond

some mention the amount of lift/distance they can slurp from

a good un is a nice bit of kit .

the little battery ones are carp if you need to clean owt bigger than a soup bowl

in general the amount of water is less important than the shape and energy of the spray.

i used to use one the size of a chest freezer and it was not much wetter than my tiny domestic one but it would strip pointing and masonry paint ever so well.

as mentioned a greenhouse might not thrive with anything industrially powerful
Ty Gwyn

Sounds like the kind of thing I need. Can anyone advise how you would tell if a pressure washer can work like this (from a description). They talk longingly about how much they put out, but not about input requirements. Be really handy.

It will have a suction hose with a perforated end to it,a mains pressure washer does`nt,i`d advise to take a look,maybe Hereford Mart has a pressure washer sales depot,or a plant ,sales and hire place.
Nick

Anything that connects to a tap won’t work. I understand what you’re saying about the shape of the spray is more important than the size, but you do need a certain volume. Our taps won’t do that.

I’m going to chat to A Man. Thanks
dpack

in that case fill a container and use that with one made for the job.

the lance bit makes lots of difference to the effect , some machines come with interchangeable nozzle sections. they break.

i might go for 2 lances , one brush style flat fan and the other a drill of water focussed a few inches ahead of the nozzle.

there are decent adjustable lances

if it needs gentle use a sponge Laughing

a beasty will cut through a safety boot and chuck egg sized lumps of masonry quite a distance so hardcore ppe is vital and it would shred a greenhouse .

domestic scale ones use ppe if required or just be careful.

something around 120 to 150 bar is probably more than enough for domestic use

as you need clean and rinse getting one with a decent litres a minute makes sense
Ty Gwyn

Nick,The suction washers don`t connect to a tap,only the mains ones do.

Like Theo says,you fill a drum and place the suction pipe in the drum,and switch on the electric,if need leave the tap running to keep a volume of water.
Nick

I have unlimited water. And 1000l tubs. I think we have a plan. And I might buy a green house and a pressure washer tomorrow. Ty Gwyn

Now your cooking on gas,as they say. dpack

yep that should do it .
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home