Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
MullersLaneFarm

Greetings from Illinois, USA

Hey all!,
Followed a link from my Yahoo group to the "Making Soap from Woodash Lye". Had to register to see it ... so here I m.

Wonderful article! Love the pictures. I've made potash (lye from hardwood ash) and have made soap from it. I've seen so many articles about potash soap that was full of misinformation and was tickled to see one that is correct! Kudos to the author!

A bit about me. We have lived on our current homestead for 10 years now, but did most of the things we do now in a more urban setting for years before finding our place.

I've been making soap since 1999. I am an avid fiber artist that spins, knits, crochets, weaves, tats, and other needle arts. My husband is a blacksmith, wood worker, leather worker, tailor and jack of all trades.

We raise 100% of our meat (beef, pork & various poultry), eggs, herbs & honey. We used to have a Jersey milk cow when we had children at home. Made a lot of butter & cheeses back then. We raise or barter for 100% of our vegetables and about 50% of our fruit. I'm an avid canner & dehydrator.

We heat primarily with wood, although we do have a furnace, it is set at 50*F. I have a wood cookstove that I used for one year, but the firebox wasn't large enough to heat the home. It is in storage until we can build a non-electric summer kitchen, complete with a hand pump for water.

It warms my heart to see folks across the pond with the same interests as my family. I'll probably lurk for a while until I am comfortable.

p.s. Most of Illinois, USA is NOT like Chicago!!! Surprised
sean

Welcome aboard. Very Happy
Jamanda

Hello hello2
12Bore

Hello, and welcome to DS! hello2
T.G

Hiya & welcome, from the Peak District National Park, pretty central, kind of bang in the middle of the UK Very Happy

Sounds like you have a busy an fulfilling lifestyle, with many talents and knowledge to share. What kinds of cheeses did you make?
Tavascarow

Welcome from Kernow.
The best music comes from the windy city & that's all I know about Illinois.
Very Happy
Went

Hello and welcome from Asturias... Smile
pookie

Hello from Mid Wales, welcome Smile
alison

Welcome Very Happy

Please don't lurk, jump right in.
Nicky Colour it green

welcome Smile
Rusticwood

hello from Devon hello2
arvo

Hello from sunny Somerset.
lettucewoman

Hello from the New Forest, on the south coast of England...do just jump right in, we are a friendly lot!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
MullersLaneFarm

Thanks for all the welcomes! I did just jump on a couple of threads ... this forum seems so friendly and helpful!

What kinds of cheeses did you make?

Mostly cheddar and mozzarella.
Bebo

Sweet Home Chicago's a good song, but can't comment on the place as I've never been. Don't agree with Tav, Michigan and Pennsylvania are where the best music come from.

Welcome to DS.
gil

Welcome to Downsizer !
Lorrainelovesplants

Hi and dont be shy...pull up a chair and join in..... Laughing
Nell Merionwen

Hello and welcome,
I've just had a look at your website. What a wealth of knowledge.
please, don't be shy. You clearly have a lot to share Smile
frewen

Hello hello2

Pleasure to meet you Smile
T.G

Thanks for all the welcomes! I did just jump on a couple of threads ... this forum seems so friendly and helpful!

What kinds of cheeses did you make?

Mostly cheddar and mozzarella.

Cool, it is something I'm planning on learning to do.... Loving the pair too, Bess and Buck Smile beautiful ...we have a trait breton stallion, similar to the belgian, who we plan to work and drive but he's still only a young guy he was broken to riding last year and wearing harness Very Happy
gz

Croeso from South East Wales Smile Kenworth

Hey from the other side of Lake MI!

Glad you found your way here from Homesteading Today, too. These folks are great here! Wink
gz

I see you look at other farming blogs. Have you found www.squashblossomfarm.blogspot.com ? They are near Rochester MullersLaneFarm

.we have a trait breton stallion, similar to the belgian,

THAT is a gorgeous breed! I had never heard of it before, had to look up some pictures.

I hate how the Belgian has been bred to be so long legged for shows.
MullersLaneFarm

Hey from the other side of Lake MI!

Glad you found your way here from Homesteading Today, too. These folks are great here! Wink

I thought your name looked familiar!
T.G

.we have a trait breton stallion, similar to the belgian,

THAT is a gorgeous breed! I had never heard of it before, had to look up some pictures.

I hate how the Belgian has been bred to be so long legged for shows.

Fiddling about with a breed spec to suit certain personal tastes does tend to spoil a breed.

http://percheron-international.blogspot.com/2010/10/lisieux-dautres-attelages.html

You might find that blog interesting as they drive trait bretons in speed competition.. it is in French though..but you can get the gist of the breed from the photos.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home