Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
alison

greying out in documents

I am trying to tidy up a folder, and add a couple of sub folders (dates)

I want to move last years, and the year befores bookings into a dated file 2013 or 2014, to get them out of the way.

unfortunately the "move to " option is greyed out, so I can only copy.

How can I get it not greyed out.

I am the only one who uses this pc, and have all admin rights, so I assume there is a button somewhere to press, just don't know what it is called, or where it is.
sean

Have you made them 'Read Only' at some point?
alison

I don't think so. I don't make anything read only, because it is a pain.
sgt.colon

If you copy and paste them in to a new folder, will it then allow you to delete them from the original location?

In all my years in IT I've never come across the move option being greyed out.
Nick

None of the files in the folder are open, anywhere? (other networked machines?)
kGarden

I don't DRAG as I am inclined to DROP in the wrong place!, or attempting to get to the place where I would like to DROP causes manic scrolling!

So I highlight all the files and then CUT (which does nothing except to lo-light them, thus if you change your mind they aren't actually "cut")

Then I navigate to the target folder and Right-Click PASTE and at that time they MOVE (regardless of whether it is same-drive or different-drive).

UNDO should be an option at that point, if you change your mind.

If nothing seems to work open a COMMAND window and try typing the MOVE command:
Code:
MOVE C:\FromPath\MyFileName.XXX D:\TargetPath\

on one of the greyed out ones. Assuming it fails it will hopefully give you a somewhat meaningful error message, which might shed light on the problem.
alison

It won't let me cut and paste either.

There isn't anything open, and it isn't networked.
alison

How can I see if they are read only?
Nick

Right click on the folder. -> Properties. It'll say there, as a check box.
sgt.colon

Is this a windows machine? If so what version?

If it's a Windows machine, where is the main folder? Are they office documents that you are trying to move?
alison

The docs are thunderbird eml docs (saved emails)

I have opened a random sample and none are read only
alison

It is windows 7
sgt.colon

So are these folders within the Thunderbird client?
Nick

I think them being emails is the issue. You didn't put them in those folders, the email program did. Can you move them in your email client?
kGarden

Might it make any difference if you launch Windows Explorer in Administrator mode?

Navigate to it in START MENU and then Right Click and "Run as Administrator"
alison

So are these folders within the Thunderbird client?

The emails are the confirmation from the company to confirm a B&B booking. They get saved to a folder called ads / name of co / now I want to put them into 2014
alison

I think them being emails is the issue. You didn't put them in those folders, the email program did. Can you move them in your email client?

I save them from my email client into a folder on hd.
alison

Might it make any difference if you launch Windows Explorer in Administrator mode?

Navigate to it in START MENU and then Right Click and "Run as Administrator"

No idea. I followed what you said but it still didn't make any difference.
vegplot

You might not have permission to modify the folder. Right click and select Properties then Security. A screen shot would be useful. alison

I have got permission, already checked that.

Digging more on google it is a known thing, and the way around it is put the whole of the folder onto the desktop, which does work, then you can move them into the relevant places, and then move the folder back.

That will work with a lot of what I want to do.

I will have to work out how to move my whole docs over, onto the other hard drive, to do the loose ones, as I don't think there will be room for them.
kGarden

Digging more on google it is a known thing, and the way around it is put the whole of the folder onto the desktop, which does work, then you can move them into the relevant places, and then move the folder back.

What a PITA Sad
alison

It isn't too bad, at least I can get on now, deleting, and sorting, which is what I wanted to do.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home