Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Greenfoot

ground source heat what's it's name thingy...

Can anyone direct me to information about laying pipes in land to get heat for water etc..... I know nothing about it and want some simple and concise information to research my options.....many thanks.
Gervase

There are two ways of doing a GSHP - shallow in a herringbone pattern with a big footprint, or deep with a small footprint. Have a search through here for plenty of info.
chez

Have you found Navitron?
sean

Chez wrote:
Have you found Navitron?

Are you trying to start a religion again?
Hairyloon

Re: ground source heat what's it's name thingy...

Greenfoot wrote:
Can anyone direct me to information about laying pipes in land to get heat for water etc..... I know nothing about it and want some simple and concise information to research my options.....many thanks.

Basically, you dig a big trench, put your pipes in then fill it up again. It is a bit more complicated than that, but not a lot really.
You can use one very long pipe or an array of panels.
chez

sean wrote:
Chez wrote:
Have you found Navitron?

Are you trying to start a religion again?

You're just envious of all the information I've gathered whilst collecting unsuitable solid fuel heating appliances.
sean

Is there some secret stuff that you haven't passed on on downsizer then?
chez

No, mostly I have paraded my humiliation publicly. Why, were you thinking of doing some research yourself?
sean

Not really, more wondering about what the advantages of joining the religion were. Wink If we stay here long enough then I reckon solar HW and possibly PV (depending on how the costs/tech go) would be the way to go. My understanding is that it's difficult to integrate a GSHP set up into a conventionally constructed house from the late nineteenth century.
chez

They also take quite a lot of electric to run. I think it depends on whether you want to be completely independent of the grid or not. With my 'end of the world' paranoia, it's not a sensible choice Smile.
jag_clarke

yeah they take about 1kw of elec to heat water 4-5kw which works out only little cheaper than an efficent gas boiler. but you have to look in slightly longer term. north sea gas supplyies are running out quickly in next few years they will produce a fracton of what they did a few years ago. we have little infrastructure to store gas in this country. so we are going to rely more and more on russian supplyies which will be very hit and miss due to political situation. so i see gas cuts going to be quite common on next decade, eleectric may also have issues but at least it can easily be imported from france or we can use sources other than gas. also golbally in future decades gas supplyies will not meet demarnd so prices will rise to unafordable levels.

the deeper the pipes are under the ground the more consistant the efficency will be. 1m deep is about the minium if this is not possible to solid rock then bore hole systems with vertical pipes is more practical. if u have a garden smaller than average vertical my also be simpler. also if u grow anything in your garden like veg it will not grow well as ground will be chilled.
James

there's an article I wrote on it in the articles bit of this web site.
Bernie66

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/A_sustainable_home/An_idiot%27s_guide_to_ground_source_heat_pumps/

Very interesting one
jag_clarke

anyone know if the heat pumps navitron sell are any good? are there outputs accurate?
Healthy Living

This company do good systems
http://www.lampoassa.fi/en/

try and source a self modulating heat pump.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home