Haggis - For herbivores
- 75g/3oz. mushrooms, chopped
- 150g/5oz. carrots, peeled, grated
- 150g/5oz. onions, peeled, chopped finely
- 75g/3oz. brown lentils, soaked 2-3 hours
- 50g/2oz. red kidney beans, cooked and roughly chopped
- 50g/20z. pinhead oatmeal, soaked in cold water for 2 hours
- 25g/1oz. margarine
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2tsp. garam masala
- oil, salt and pepper
- Fry the garlic and onions in a little oil until transparent. Add the Garam Masala, salt and pepper.
- Add the lentils and grated carrots.
- Simmer until lentils are tender and add water or stock if necessary (it may stick to the pan otherwise).
- Add mushrooms and simmer for 10 minutes and then add beans.
- Turn off heat, add the margarine and more black pepper to your taste.
- Finally add the soaked (drained and rinsed) oatmeal and mix well.
Serve warm. Serve with neeps and tatties.