Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
dpack

hand blenders ?

our's broke last night and this time it is beyond repair as it has not lasted long(3 yrs)and has had several repairs i want an alternative to the waahl /james martin which was cheapish but has proved a" bit fragile".

i have looked at online reviews which have given a choice of about 10 in the below HOW MUCH?bracket but what do you folk recommend?

we dont need all the bells and whistles as we have a good blender and mixer for most things so a simple blade on a stick that is capable of turning boiled veg into soup in a pan without covering the walls will be adequate.

we dont want to spend too much cos we cant Rolling Eyes

ps the tool bit needs to go in the dishwasher
dpack

has anyone tried one of these?

blender ?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

In my vast experience of TWO whole blenders, the one with the solid-but-wavy edge was brilliant, it didn't splash or get sucked to the bottom of the pan. My current model has a flat edge with holes in it, and it splashes like a... splashy thing.

I see the one you link has a wavy edge with holes, just to be awkward Rolling Eyes

This looks very like the one I liked
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-MQ100-Blender-White-Green/dp/B00IXCFMYG/ref=lp_10706591_1_1?s=kitchen-appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1444221242&sr=1-1

BUT the motor did burn out within a few years, and I wasn't using it every day or anything. It may be just how they are built now?
crofter

has anyone tried one of these?

blender ?

No have never used one, but at 800w you are using more than 1 horsepower to stir your soup!
dpack

i dont think having a horse in the kitchen will help Laughing

from experience of assorted power tools a big motor usually does the job fastest and properly ,as it is only used for maybe a couple of minutes a week the total leccy use is quite small and 2 mins at 400w is more energy than 30 secs at 800.
Nick

My eight quid one from tesco has worked for years. Doesn't need the dishwasher, it's a 90 second clean under a hot tap affair.
jettejette

I bought my Kenwood triblade (not sure how many blades they usually have) for £5 from a car boot sale. It is far better quality and more efficient than the one I bought new for about £12 which I gave to my daughter when she was setting up home.
I would go for a good second hand one again definitely. Like Nick's, it only needs a few seconds 'whizz' in a jug of hot water and it cleans itself as long as you do it straight after use.
Old-Chads-Orchard

My eight quid one from tesco has worked for years. Doesn't need the dishwasher, it's a 90 second clean under a hot tap affair.

Same here, sub £10 one from sainsbos I think, just keeps going
wellington womble

I've no idea if they do blenders, but I've just had outstanding customer service from Andrew James over my halogen oven. I phoned them because it's making a funny noise. The suggested it may be the fan and told me how to check. It wasn't, so they sent a replacement next day and a postage paid label for the old one (which is working fine). I mentioned I'm considering buying one for my mother, and they give me a code for ten percent off. If I buy any other small appliances, I'm checking there first. (It was 18 months old, and I didn't even buy it direct from them in the first place!) the lady was so helpful. I didn't have to press any buttons and she wasn't reading from a script. Sad that it's exceptional, but so very refreshing. NorthernMonkeyGirl

I have a couple of Andrew James items and they hold up very well considering I doubt they were designed for heavy daily use Smile dpack

thanks folks very useful info,once we have a new one i will report back.

ds could end up rivaling which magazine with the various product reviews we seem to generate

many online reviews seem to be a little "company friendly" ,based on the colour ,postage service etc,or after a couple of uses rather than from long term performance ,after sales care etc etc .

im definately not going to head down the expensive must be best route Laughing
Nick

My Tesco one is now discontinued, but is a 300W one. They appear to offer a 150W for a fiver, which I would treat with caution, and a 600W for £12 which I'd buy. dpack

ta mate,i think that is the one we will probably go for. Nick

The pot it comes with is handy, because it allows for minimal liquid use and maximum efficiency. I've lost mine. dpack

ps i saw one online for about £150 Rolling Eyes which had dreadful reviews of it in use but ace ones of style for a smart looking kitchen. Laughing Nick

My boss's wife bought a Porsche kettle once. I can't imagine what it cost. It did, however, boil water perfectly. Rolling Eyes dpack

rather than introducing one to st peter upside down ,backwards and on fire at 150mph

Laughing
Nick

rather than introducing one to st peter upside down ,backwards and on fire at 150mph

Laughing

Indeed, but, you know, we're going to die. Why not go out like that?
sean

Pfft, lightweights. Get a completely excessive man-blender Nick

Pfft, lightweights. Get a completely excessive man-blender

SHouldn't you be ringing national radio stations to boast about potato rumbling, or something?
dpack

i could just weld some blades on a rod and use my plug in drill but i would spend a lot of time wiping the walls and dressing scalds Laughing sean

SHouldn't you be ringing national radio stations to boast about potato rumbling, or something?

Got his band coming for a gig. I'm going to set up effectiveinternetstalking.com and sell my services to other companies.
Nick

Got his band coming for a gig. I'm going to set up effectiveinternetstalking.com and sell my services to other companies.

I heard. Show biz, and honesty. Whodathunkit?
dpack

tesco one on order for collection tomorrow

i will report back on the new 600 w version Wink

twelve squid seems too cheap for a decent tool but i have a "no name" circular saw that was a tenner and is still perfect 15 yrs later and using it's original blade after a lot of sectioning wood in a semi trade environment Laughing
Bebo

I managed to destroy three domestic kitchen ones in just over two years so forked out for a Waring commercial kitchen one. Have had it about four years and it's going strong and whizzed up a gallon of pasta sauce just yesterday. dpack

im waiting like an expectant puppy dad for it to arrive home with tt so i can blend something,how sad is that ? Laughing dpack

it arrived ,it blends,it does not spit,it has a good range of speeds,easy push button .

so far extremely good value for 12 squid,thanks
Nick

it arrived ,it blends,it does not spit,it has a good range of speeds,easy push button .

so far extremely good value for 12 squid,thanks

Just remember, you asked for it to make soup from vegetables. Not a bolognese pasta sauce. Wink
dpack

the big kitchenaid jug on a (lathe)motor is for things like that or crushing ice chopping nuts etc and although 20 yrs new and with a replacement drive cog(£3 for 2 of them iirc)it is a star at heavy duty stuff.

the stick one does soup or rests quietly on the shelf
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home