Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
whitelegg1

Hanging birds?

I don't normally bother to hang pigeons, but...

If you know they are going to be sitting around for a couple of days.

Is it better to leave them guts in or out?

Pete
dpack

out .
check to see if they have eaten owt useful though Shocked
i recon only the breast meat is for good dinner the rest is dog/ cat / fox food . (trap line attractant even more shocked Laughing )
cook slowly in gravey or else they are quite dry .
stew then make a pie .
random critter pie Cool
feathers useful .wash in a sock or pillowcase and dry
or add to compost /put under planting .
if you run wet feathers through a mangle then dry them they curl and make better insulation Idea
judith

I'd go for out too.

If 'twere me, I wouldn't hang them at all - just take the breasts off and have done with it.
Jonnyboy

Re: Hanging birds?

whitelegg1 wrote:
I don't normally bother to hang pigeons, but...

If you know they are going to be sitting around for a couple of days.

Is it better to leave them guts in or out?

Pete

For a couple of days I wouldn't bother. I reckon that the risk of deterioration would be higher if the inside of the carcass is exposed.
whitelegg1

Thanks.

I have only waited to sort them out, as I have to wait until Whitelegg2 is out of the house!

Pete
JPBearclaw

Hi All its my first post so be gentle with me Wink
Game birds (pigeons not strictly game birds) are traditionally drawn after being hung and plucked or skinned, i would tend to remove the contents of the crop first any ways, saying that i dont like hung game so i skin and draw anything i get as soon as im home and would do so with pige's any how, Pigeons are best i think skinned and gutted wrapped in bacon and pot roastedwith some veggies, or the brests stewed and a nice stock sauce made from the tiddley fiddley bits ....JP .....oh so in short id ditch the guts lol Laughing
Bernie66

Welcome to the forums, your site looks like my kind of thing!
Penny Outskirts

They look like some great courses JP - we should have a Downsizer's only one Very Happy
JPBearclaw

It would be my pleasure Wink Ive just returned from sweden we run the vieldmark course out there its an awesome place I hope the summerlands are like it when i pop my clogs i can tell you lol Laughing
Bodger

With pigeons I don't bother plucking or gutting them I just fillet the breasts off . I do it this way probably because I'm lazy and its a bit fiddley. I don't waste it though . We get the choice bit and the ferrets get the rest .
I'm not much of a chef but you can't beat pan fried pigeon breasts with onions ,garlic,red wine and some seasoning .

I like my pheasants to be hung but not for too long . I also like them fresh .
A lot of people have been put off pheasant for life by having bought or by being given a dodgy pheasant !
Pheasant is a gorgous bird but the following sequence of events might explain why some people have had bad experiences with them .
A pheasant is shot out of the sky with a dose of lead pellets.

It falls to the ground with a resounding thwack .

A hairy mut retrieves it and gives it a bit of the tenderising treatment as it takes it back to its master .

The pheasant is then thrown into the back of a landrover where its trampled on by half a dozen beaters.

Worse still its then left in a big pile of its dead bretheren to heat up nicely and not allowed to cool properly .

At the end of the day or possibly the next it will be tied by the legs to one of its mates and hung up side down to mature .

A brace of pheasants is often given as an unwanted present and they might remain in someones car boot before the ungreatful recipient can think of someone else to pass them onto .

This is very much worse case scenario but it does explain why some people will run a mile if offered the chance of a pheasant and why the big shoots have a Dickins of a job to get rid of their birds at a reasonable price.
On the bonus side for us as consumers, it means that if you can find a supplier that doesn't do any of the above you can get
excellent meat at an excellent price !

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mary-Jane

Bodger wrote:
With pigeons I don't bother plucking or gutting them I just fillet the breasts off .

Yup, we're the same. We don't bother hanging them either.
JPBearclaw

How true is that Bodger Laughing lol Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home