Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
gil

hanging pheasants - what's too long ?

How long is too long to hang a pheasant in these mild-ish temps, and how would I know ?

Possible options ?
Green Rosie

Dad used to hang his pheasants until they were quite literally green (and even sometimes had maggots on them). He said it made for a better flavour. Quite frankly I thought they tasted revolting and were a health hazard but he never seemed to get ill from eating them.

So in answer to your question - possibly a long time Rolling Eyes
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I've hung one for a week with no discernable change.
I've heard you're "supposed" to hang them until you can pull a toe off pale
Green Rosie

I've heard you're "supposed" to hang them until you can pull a toe off pale

Yup - Dad would have agreed with that puke_r
misty07

think an old saying (not sure where i heard it) but hang till the maggots fly away. but i dont think i would hang them for much more than a week
mochyn

I don't bother any more, but if I haven't got time I'm happy to leave them for a few days. Just as good fresh though.
marigold

I thought the header said "hanging peasants..."
judith

I don't hang them for more than a couple of days as I'm not keen on the flavour of rotting meat! They are normally young birds in any case, so they don't need to semi-decompose before they are edible.
Cathryn

We had some last week that had been hanging for seven days (we forgot them Embarassed ). I am just about to eat some that were shot last Friday and have been hanging in a cold shed. For me that's just about right. I intended to prepare them yesterday and forgot again. Rolling Eyes On the other hand I was in work all day so Jack did them and also stuck them in a casserole ready for supper. Smile
Mithril

Three days is my preference.
Hairyloon

I understood the tradition was to hang them by the head, and when they've rotted enough to fall, then they're ready to eat.

Tradition is a funny thing. Confused
gil

These were shot last Friday, so they should be OK to process tomorrow, then.
Nicky Colour it green

i dont hang them at all - i loathe the gamey taste of hung meat.... So i eat or freeze the day or day after it died.
Colin & Jan

Hanging is OK if you are sure what has happened to the bird. The trouble is if a dog has crunched them when retrieving or they have been shot at close range then decomosition will take place quicker. Having plucked/skinned/dressed many hundreds (probably thousands) over the years I am a believer that earlier is better than later. Unless I want to give as a present or sell a brace or two I tend to skin and remove the breasts and legs; disposing of the rest.
sean

I tend to skin and remove the breasts and legs; disposing of the rest.

That's what I used to do when we had a regular supply of pheasants. There's damn all on the rest of them anyway.
dpack

yep ,and fresh is best

rotting wont kill you if it is well boiled but why puke_r ?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home