Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Cathryn

Hard drive problem?

My laptop has just told me that there is a problem and the hard drive is damaged. It says I need to repair or replace the hard drive. This sounds rather doomy even if I do back up anything that we need. Is it and is there any reason why this has happened?
dpack

back up what you can now.

probably knackered
you need a new one ,nice of the machine to mention it rather than just go black (or blue)
Hairyloon

Curious that it suggests you repair.
Marionb

I seem to recall my laptop telling me something similar, I did a repair, following the instructions on my screen, all seemed ok for a week or two when it totally crashed, and the hard drive turned out to be damaged beyond repair....

Mad
dpack

Curious that it suggests you repair.

i suspect when it said repair it really was suggesting replace the drive to repair the machine

i still think is polite of it to point out it is feeling poorly rather than just doing a sheep thing and being found upside down in a hedge
Nick

Could be the fairly regular windows error message that suggests bad sectors exist and need repair. Who knows?

(Clue: Cathryn, maybe)
Cathryn

Ah well, backed up everything I think is important. Now making a recovery disc (apparently). Then I'll try repairing it. Goodness knows if that's the right way around. Personally I'd rather be going to bed like everyone else in the house. Rolling Eyes
dpack

backed up and recovery disk is good ,it might get better but if not you can reload the new drive with your data
Cathryn

Although I spent some time last night creating system image recovery discs the laptop can't read them. Any ideas why not? Could this be part of what's wrong with it do you think. I might just have to try going back to factory settings.
Hairyloon

I would suggest you buy a new drive. That is what I would do even though I'm a cheapskate.
Swap the drives and plug the old one in on a USB adapter to copy the data across.
Cathryn

Ah, good plan. I hadn't thought of that.

On the other hand I've realised that this laptop is at least five years old. I wonder what the lifespan of a Toshiba is? Anyone?
dpack

pooter lifespans is a very strange concept

a bit like a brush lasting for ever with 3 new sticks and 6 new heads (and counting)

my most recent very useable pooter is a selection of bits donated by tahir built around a sound card i was given in 2001(it runs on linux but tis ace for sound Laughing )(i should get the mb/cpu that is 5 times stronger running that kit but i have it saved for later )

im typing this on a 2006 machine (hp/vista) and it aint redundant yet (when it is it will get the conversion to linux and be a racer)

i recon most could have a long and happy dotage in front of them with a bit of surgery and some decent nursing care Laughing Laughing Laughing
dpack

to properly answer your question in a different way

pooter lifespan depends on

will it run the peripherals,talk to web pages or is it blue/black or flashing etc etc ,
is the cost of mending a redundant machine silly compared to next weeks new model.

one way is "mad max"the other is "showroom"

i have done both and both have a place .
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home