Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
hedgerow.crafts

Harvest oats by hand, chance to have a go!

Hi all
A local small holder has offered us the chance to help him harvest some or all of his oats by hand (near-ish to Newcastle Emlyn) - using scythes to mow it, tie it in sheaves, stook it etc. Is any one interested in helping out? Does anyone have any experience of doing this? We haven't done this before but it is a good opportunity to have a go.

Email me if you are interested in helping! I would also be interested to hear about other peoples experiences.
vegplot

When is this going to happen?
hedgerow.crafts

Depends on the weather and ripeness of the crop - sometime in the next month. Hopefully I will have a couple of days notice and be able to email those who have expressed an interest.
Stonehead

I've been known to use a scythe...

That's nearing the finish of the big field—four acres of grass. Carry a scythe stone in your back pocket and hone the blade regularly. Have an anvil, peening hammer and files to one side so you can you can freshen up the edge every couple of acres or if you hit the inevitable stone or piece of fencing wire.
Stonehead

And a post from my blog about preparing the scythe...

http://stonehead.wordpress.com/2006/06/09/mowing-preparations/
gil

Excellent, another Downsizer mower ! Very Happy
Congratulations on tackling four acres - do you mow it on an ongoing basis, or do it all in one go over a week or so ?
And what do you do with it - compost, hay, or ?
steve tomlin

hi,
Will this oat harvest be taking place again in 2012?
Steve
sean

Welcome aboard Steve. It may be worth you sending hedgerow.crafts a PM with your question. They're still around I think but intermittently so a direct approach may be better.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home