Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Penny Outskirts

Harvest

Farmers around here are having a total nightmare, with crops still standing, or where they've managed to combine a field, straw laying rotting on the ground.

By now the seeds for next year should be in. It's not good Sad
Mary-Jane

Not good here either... Neutral
woodsprite

Same here. I've a farming friend in Wales who is desperately worried.
katie

Yes, they've only managed to harvest about 30% round here and still it rains....
gil

Yup, here too.
I also know of folk who haven't yet managed to cut ANY silage at all.
Shane

Presumably, there's not been a whole lot of hay made this year, either?
Jonnyboy

Same here.
Rob R

It has been rather on the damp side
Went

so another price increase on the cards...... Question
Rob R

Well wheat has dropped about £60/t on this time last year, so there must be better harvests in the world market
Marionb

Our hay is still in the field..... not sure what we are going to do with it now... possibly top it and let it die off..... what a waste.
tahir

It's not too bad round here, I think Rich finished combining Sunday
Penny Outskirts

Ian33568 wrote:
so another price increase on the cards...... Question

Possibly, but it could wipe out hundreds of farmers who are already struggling Sad
Rob R

tahir wrote:

You want your eyes poking out? We were having a collective moan if you hadn't noticed? Wink
Penny Outskirts

Rob R wrote:
tahir wrote:

You want your eyes poking out? We were having a collective moan if you hadn't noticed? Wink

Bloody Essex boys Rolling Eyes
mochyn

Complete carp here too. Most people got their hay in very late, some still haven't cut their silage.

The soil is waterlogged. We desperately need a dry September.

I farm, therefore I moan.
alison

We got our hay in, in July and it is mighty fine stuff too.

My friend harvested his Barley last week, and the grain has been crimped, but the straw is still laying in a damp heap.
Rob R

Penny wrote:
Rob R wrote:
tahir wrote:

Bloody Essex boys Rolling Eyes

"It'll be fine"
Slim

I'll just keep my mouth shut.... bootyshake angel7 Laughing
Rob R

Don't tell me, drought Laughing
Lloyd

Round here the grasses have ben cut weeks ago, and still lie on the ground, waiting for a change in the weather. As kids, we would have turned them over daily with pitchforks, but these days farmers don't seem to mind.
Slim

Not a drought; had a wickedly wet July & August, but have had a lot of drying weather recently. Had to irrigate until a cloudburst last night. But it's still good drying weather. Thinking that our sunflowers & dry beans will be ready for the combine shortly, and hopefully before too much bird damage. Livestock folks around the state are a bit unhappy that the rain delayed their second cutting until this past week, but are happy that they've finally got such good drying weather.
Rob R

We had that last week- several good drying days on the trot dried out the ground nicely, then a thunderstorm on Tuesday put us back to wading through the fields, again. More tomorrow & for the weekend it seems.
Slim

We're expecting lots of rain over the weekend as well, due to 'Hannah' working her way up from the tropics.

Are you sure that you're a farmer?
How are you awake right now? scratch
Green Man

Lloyd wrote:
As kids, we would have turned them over daily with pitchforks, but these days farmers don't seem to mind.

Mechanical turning can do more harm than good in these weather conditions. (and it costs fuel)
vegplot

Driving past a barley field the other day. You could smell the malt.
Pel

One of my friends is out on harvest work in lincolnshire, she has managed to get 240ha of wheat and only got another 30ha left, but has only managed to get half the barley in, so she will be starting uni a week late to make sure she gets it all in... not that they do much in first week anyway.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home