Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Hairyloon

Harvesting rose hips.

I decided that I really ought to try and do something with the rosehips this year, but having gone picking, I am a little perturbed: they are either rock hard or completely squidgy, and with very little middle ground.
What's the advice here? Apart from picking them a bit earlier: too many were beyond squidgy.
gz

It is one of those " I wouldn't start from here" things. Confused

Pick when ripe, then freeze to mimic frost. As with sloes.
Hairyloon

It is one of those " I wouldn't start from here" things. Confused

It was one of those do it now or don't bother. I was not home at the right time.

Quote:
Pick when ripe, then freeze to mimic frost. As with sloes.

OK, but how do you tell that they're ripe?
gz

good colour, mainly...
dpack

what gz said plus

rosa rugosa has a very good vitamin and flavour content

keep a lid on the pan so the steam prevents any oxydation from the air. hot vit c in aq is pretty keen as a reducing agent.

separating product from seeds, nasty hairs and pulp is best done in stages:
colander, sieve, muslin (perhaps two muslin)

ensure there is enough sugar in the boiling mash for storage , if if tastes too tart add sugar

store in airtight glass bottles, not too big as a spoonful a day is plenty, and keep one out to use while storing the rest in a cool dark place

it isnt making jam, setting is not required but a sterile liquid with a decent sugar content is( container disciple is important ) if you want it to last more than a few days.

whichever sort of hips go for the "nice" ones
it is quite instinctive if you use sight, touch, smell/taste and once you know which are best they are easy to spot

and do your own bletting in a freezer is the bit i can add to grannie's vast knowledge
gz

rosa rugosa is good...less work Cool
Hairyloon

rosa rugosa is good...less work Cool

I don't much like roses: I amn't likely to be planting any... Wink

I was thinking to make wine, except the only direct report I've had of rosehip wine was not favourable... Don't really see that as proper grounds to not as it's likely to be a bad batch or not a good recipe.
dpack

to flavour it it might be ok, as the main sugar source it would be interesting dpack

thinking about it as a drink flavouring half a dozen nice hips in a pint of vodka for a few months might be rather nice

or a similar proportion added to the second still pass might be even better.

vitamin c =syrup

i suspect a delicate pleasant flavour= a small amount of the aromatics
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home