Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
feathersandfibre

Hatching eggs wanted

Hi, not posted here for a while but I need some hatching eggs and thought this would be my best starting point! I have finally got the chance to hatch some chicks again after selling up and moving to town. My class at school are going to hatch some chicks and keep a few as school pets. I'm looking for a mixture of up to 24 eggs from auto sexing breeds and ideally that lay a range of colours of eggs. Ideally for next week. Legbars are top of my wish list because that's what I used to have but I'm open to suggestions. If anyone is selling any that fit the bill please give me a shout otherwise it might be resorting to an eBay pot luck! Ooooh I can't wait!
feathersandfibre

Welsummers would be lovely too, and I'm sure I sexed my marans pretty early on too...
Lorrainelovesplants

sorry, I dont have any autosexing breeds, but good luck.
Chez

I can do legbars, salmon faverolles or barnevelders in LF. Barnies in no way autosexing, the faverolles you can tell at about 10 days. I've got bantam welsummers and araucanas; the araucanas aren't suitable for further breeding at this point because there is an odd recessive gene in there causing occasional silkie feathering.

I'm charging 20 a dozen, including P&P.
feathersandfibre

Ooh fab, can I 6 each of the welsummer, legbar and salmon faverolles please! I might try and get 6 marans too to arrive at the same time then. That should make a pretty egg box to sell to parents! Was hoping to set them mid week next week but thinking about it the bank holiday is going to make that a bit tricky isn't it. Might be better to push it back to the following week. It would be a shame for the children to miss out if the hatch a bit late for any reason. Do you want to message me details of how you want me to pay and I'll message you the schools address. Oh and I might need a bit of help with how to sex the faverolles when the time comes, no experience of that breed at all!
Chez

I can get them in the post on the 28th? It'll be 33 in total, coz of the way the parcel post works the half dozen will go as a separate parcel. I'll PM you paypal details, but it might be worth you seeing if Sandra or Bodger can do you LF welsummers, if that's more useful to you, laying wise, given it'll be two lots of post anyway?
feathersandfibre

Thanks chez, I will get in touch with Sandra re the welsummers might also go with some exchequer leghorns from her to top up the incy instead of marans I believe they can be fairly accurately sexed when hatched. I'll let you know once I've got in touch with her and confirm the final order!
Chez

That would give you all colours in the egg boxes, too - the leghorns lay lovely white eggs.
feathersandfibre

I'd like to go ahead with the faverolles and Legbars please chez Smile
Chez

Righty-ho. I am writing you in my book as I type. Can you pm me your address?
feathersandfibre

Done Smile
feathersandfibre

Well i don't know who is more excited at school, we have 3 hatched, 1 making a long job of it but we left it head out and looking exhausted after 4 hours trying so will see how that ones doing in the morning, and 3 pipping. Hoping for a few more fluffier in the incubator by the morning. The loveliest thing watching childrens reactions to something so amazing happening before their eyes! They are desperate to get their hands on them!
Cathryn

Smile How fantastic. I can imagine the conversations at home right now though.
sean

Smile How fantastic. I can imagine the conversations at home right now though.

Yeah. "Eeew, it was gross. I am never eating an egg again. What happens if a chick hatches in my stomach?" etc. Wink
Cathryn

I still get asked if I eat fertilised eggs.
Chez

Mrs T, have you had any luck with the Legbars? I have just had feedback from someone who had 17 out of 24 clear; and my own have candled just as badly. I will refund you or give you an IOU if you have had similar trouble - looks like my cockerel has run out of puff Sad
feathersandfibre

All candled with something in, just 3 looked not as far on as the others at 10 days. So all fertile yes. The other two were pipping when I left them. We have 2 faverolles so far too. Ppl keep asking if they are the 'proper' chickens because the are so perfectly yellow and fluffy!
madcat

What could they be if not proper chickens ? Cunningly disguised aliens maybe. Laughing
Chez

I love the fact that even baby salmon faverolles have beards. They are like tiny lady dwarves.
feathersandfibre

Madcat I have no idea! 2 Legbars out today and I think they are both girls, but I'm struggling to tell them apart from the welsummers. It's getting confusing in there! Only 9 out of 23 hatched so far, now on day 22 so am hoping we will get some more overnight but no more were pipping when I left them :/
Chez

If you are struggling to tell them apart from the Welsummers they probably *are* girls - the boys are very obvious, much lighter, with a yellow spot on the back of the head.

I always think that you are doing well if you get 50% hatch from posted eggs. Any more out now?
feathersandfibre

10 altogether today, another of the faverolles needed a bit of help at the end again, not sure what the problem there is, both of them got themselves half out but couldn't seem to do the final kicking to get out. Both fine once recovered. They are home with me now for half term. I'll get a pic in a mo....
Chez

The main thing that seems to go wrong with posted eggs, in my experience, is that the air sacs get detached if they get bounced about; so that when they come to hatch, the chick doesn't have room to turn in the shell. Perhaps it was that?
feathersandfibre

Maybe that's it then. I've got a couple more still in there that I'm sure I saw rocking but aren't doing anything. Could the detached air sac stop them pipping at all?

Here's the pics, action shots because I haven't managed to train them to strike a pose yet!

Chez

It might be. You could candle them and try and see what's going on? I'm not really a fan of intervening, it rarely works out IME; but it might be worth it if they've actually been rocking the eggs.
feathersandfibre

Well I candled and then investigated. 7 not fully developed, 6 fully developed but dead in shell and then there was the one that candled clear at day10. I'm sure the ones that weren't developed today candled as having less going on than they did on day 10, do they start to break down in the egg? So sad to see fully developed chicks that just didn't make it out Sad
Chez

Yes, they can do - that's what the 'blood ring' thing is that you can often see quite clearly if they die in the first few days - the cells all move out in to a circle.

I hate it when you can hear them chipping and you just *know* they won't make it out Sad
feathersandfibre

Well I guess if you consider that the eggs had to make it through the postal system and then spend 3 weeks in a classroom with 30 inquisitive 4,5 and 6 yr olds in an incubator that hasn't run for 2 years, those 10 survivors have done pretty well! Problem is I've got the bug again now...I wanna do it again!!
feathersandfibre

I thought the grey fluff ball I have was a leghorn but on closer inspection it's a faverolle. I thought they were always yellow? Have I got a special one? Or have you managed to produce auto sexing faverolles? The other three are yellow but this one is grey with a yellow breast. Still can't work out which are welsummer and which are Legbars though. Fail!
Chez

Welsummers ladies wear eyeliner, I think. It's my first year with them though, so I'm not that great at it. The legbars will probably be greyer?

Re the faverolle, ooops. Embarassed That sounds like a bit of inappropriate shagging has been going on. I have had one or two legbar/faverolles crosses, but I thought it was the other way round and the faverolle boy was getting to the legbar girls. If it's the other way round, it will be a blue egg layer, though; with hairy legs?
feathersandfibre

Lol @ inappropriate shagging! Yes it was the hairy legs and extra toes that gave it away when I bothered to look properly.
SandraR

The little chick in the centre of the 1st photo is a very nice Welsummer girl Smile
feathersandfibre

Ah I thought so, excellent, thanks Smile
Mutton

As a kid we used to be taken to the department store where they had an incubator with chicks hatching out as an Easter special. I never had the "what if they hatch in your stomach" thought. Just aaaww.
feathersandfibre

They were just amazed by the whole process. Some did keep asking which one was the mummy chick and some of the older ones were asking really good questions about the hatching and what would happen next. It was lovely Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home