Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
musshy

Have i found some field mushrooms please?

Click to see full size image

Found a pile of these under a tree up a steep roadside verge hoping there field mushroom

Click to see full size image
Jamanda

Hello there. Welcome to the forum.

It looks like they COULD be field mushrooms but.....

From our foraging guidelines.

If you want help identifying a mushroom, its important to include pictures of the whole mushroom (uprooted and intact), with views of the side, top and underside.

If you can include information on whether the mushroom changes colour when cut or bruised, what kind of trees were around (or what kind of habitat you picked the mushroom in), smell, and a spore print colour (if you had one) then that also helps.

Finally, remember that identifying a mushroom with any degree of certainty when you can't get hold of it is impossible; before eating anything you've found, make sure you cross check your ID with a local expert and/or a good guide book.

Remember, there are old mushroom pickers, and there are bold mushroom pickers, but there are no old, bold mushroom pickers Smile

Lastly, always remember that identifying a sample from a description or even a good picture online is a hard task, and it is impossible to ever do so with absolute certainty. Use your own noggin too and check any suggested ID; be safe when eating wild foods!
musshy

Hiya

Thank you for tips and techniques i will get some more information to add to the topic, I stummbled on here last night after enjoying the most adorable chicken of the woods curry im a complete novice but was 99% sure it was one as its hard to mistaken for anything else i was so suprised at how an old mushroom could transform a meal into what i can only describe as bliss haha. Thankyou
Just to add the mushrooms on the pictures were all together young and old at different stages of life some very tiny right upto some older ones that
had flat caps and were darker. The larger ones in the photographs have pink fleshy gills and do smell very much like closed cap mushrooms from the super markets i wont maybe eat them but im very much looking forward to finding another chicken...asap
bubble

If you want help identifying a mushroom, its important to include pictures of the whole mushroom (uprooted and intact), with views of the side, top and underside.

If you can include information on whether the mushroom changes colour when cut or bruised, what kind of trees were around (or what kind of habitat you picked the mushroom in), smell, and a spore print colour (if you had one) then that also helps. they look like yellow stainers [Agaricus xanthodermus ] they are not deadly ,but will give you nasty stomach cramps!!!

Finally, remember that identifying a mushroom with any degree of certainty when you can't get hold of it is impossible; before eating anything you've found, make sure you cross check your ID with a local expert and/or a good guide book.

Remember, there are old mushroom pickers, and there are bold mushroom pickers, but there are no old, bold mushroom pickers Smile

Lastly, always remember that identifying a sample from a description or even a good picture online is a hard task, and it is impossible to ever do so with absolute certainty. Use your own noggin too and check any suggested ID; be safe when eating wild foods!
bubble

If you can include information on whether the mushroom changes colour when cut or bruised, what kind of trees were around (or what kind of habitat you picked the mushroom in), smell, and a spore print colour (if you had one) then that also helps.

they look like yellow stainers[ Agaricus xanthodermus]they are not DEADLY,but if you eat them they''ll give you nasty tummy cramps!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy looking at them again ,they could be A. macrosporus ,or A. campestris. If you cut the base and theres no yellowing then you've eliminated the yellow stainers. bubble

Re: Hiya

Thank you for tips and techniques i will get some more information to add to the topic, I stummbled on here last night after enjoying the most adorable chicken of the woods curry im a complete novice but was 99% sure it was one as its hard to mistaken for anything else i was so suprised at how an old mushroom could transform a meal into what i can only describe as bliss haha. Thankyou
Just to add the mushrooms on the pictures were all together young and old at different stages of life some very tiny right upto some older ones that
had flat caps and were darker. The larger ones in the photographs have pink fleshy gills and do smell very much like closed cap mushrooms from the super markets i wont maybe eat them but im very much looking forward to finding another chicken...asap chicken of the woods obtained from a yew tree is to be avoided-not everyone is affected, but some people can and have been ill!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile Very Happy Very Happy[ added this because you are a complete novice] bubble

your mushrooms could be these Very Happy Very Happy Smile Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home