Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Tinks

Have you tried this?

Sorry in advance if this topic has been done before, but I was wanting to know if anyone here has unpackaged their shopping and left the rubbish at the till?

Lots of people are cheesed off to the back teeth with worrying about what is and isn't recyclable, peed off with overflowing recycling boxes etc. What if the consumer just refused to take home any packaging that wasn't entirely necessary?

And has anyone got a clever plan of disposing of junk mail (we've flled out countless preference forms but it still keeps coming by the shedload). I wondered about re-addressing it and sending it back so they have to pay to get their own rubbish back. (I think it was on a forum somwhere as a suggestion)

Whose tried what and with what success??
Mary-Jane

Re: Have you tried this?

Tinks wrote:
Sorry in advance if this topic has been done before, but I was wanting to know if anyone here has unpackaged their shopping and left the rubbish at the till?

I used to do that all the time and hugelly annoyed my local supermarket so much that it was made clear that I wasn't welcome any more...but that was a long time ago and I've moved house since then several times.

These days we make a point of taking collapsible plastic crates to put our shoppping in and I avoid any unessecassry extra bags. If the checkout try to put any extra bags on some items I say no or simply take them off and leave them tehre. I also occasionlay take paper bags with me to put in loos e items rather than use even more plastic bags.
Nick

Send junk mail back to the sender, using their Postage Paid label, but sellotape a house brick to it. They pay by weight.
Tavascarow

You can return junk mail by writing "Unsolicited mail, return to sender"
For the unfranked junk mail you can ask the PO to stop delivering. Theres a phone number somewhere on their website I think.
2steps

never tried the packaging thing but nice idea. I take a backpack with me for shopping so I don't need bags and often find thats the excess packaging means I can carry less but then I have to decide whether to put it in the bin at the shop or take it home to be recycled.

I have sent back junk mail in the freepost envelopes before. Send them each others Laughing I also remember reading soemwhere that you can stick a label over the address and use the freepost envelope for whatever you want but don't know if thats true.
Tinks

I would like to get creative especially with junk mail but as it has your name and address on it I guess a degree of prudence is wise.

I was thinking a thick black marker pen to obscure your own address and then just chuck it back in a post box!

It's just so annoying with normal people being threatened by the council about putting the wrong kind of rubbish in the wrong places, how much, when, how etc. And it's all been originally generated by some daft third party somewhere and foisted on the general public who then have to pay for it's disposal out of their own pockets.

I wonder how easy it would be to, via the internet, set up some kind of protest whereby all unwanted junk mail could be forwarded to No 10 or the Houses of Parliament, until they get the message!

Or bag up all non-essential packaging and dump it at the doorstep of the local council.
Behemoth

It's hardly Tony Balir's fault that private comapnies want to provide you with important and useful information! Just imagine the headlines if the Govt tried to stop people sending letters to each other.

The only junk mail I get is from places I've bought stuff or forgot to tick the box saying I dont want it. If you call them they should stop, including your own bank who I find are the worst.
Tinks

I know it's not Tone's fault, but they might think about taxing the people who send all this crud! I reckon the producers of all this wasteful rubbish should pay per weight a tax (and make it a high one!).

Charities are naughty for this. I know they have to raise awareness, but what a waste of money! I refuse to give to charities whe send junk mail because for every letter that is sent it is probably about 50p or something. And crap for the environment to boot!
otatop

I work for a charity. We actually appreciate it when mail is returned marked "gone away", "deceased", or "unwanted" or whatever - in order that our database is kept up to date and that we aren't wasting money etc on unecessary postage.
Tinks

otatop wrote:
I work for a charity. We actually appreciate it when mail is returned marked "gone away", "deceased", or "unwanted" or whatever - in order that our database is kept up to date and that we aren't wasting money etc on unecessary postage.

Obviously charities wouldn't use this if it never worked, but where do they stand on the ethics of a) unsolicited approach b)the environment? I've always been curious to this approach. I have a mixture of understanding they need to try hard to raise money, but annoyance too. Confused
Sarah D

I started the packaging thing when WEN had the first campaign, back in the alte 80s/early 90s. I still do it on occasion, although I don't use the supermarkets any more as a rule; if there is excess packaging on anything, I just remove it, explain why, and leave it there.
otatop

Obviously charities wouldn't use this if it never worked, but where do they stand on the ethics of a) unsolicited approach b)the environment? I've always been curious to this approach. I have a mixture of understanding they need to try hard to raise money, but annoyance too. Confused[/quote]

I can only really speak for the charity that I work for. People only get on our mailing list by asking to. Mainly our mailings are about events that will interest or benefit them - and mailings are targeted.
Tinks

Well that's OK then! Very Happy
AnneandMike

Send the prepaid envelope back to them with the junk with your name and address on it. Write next to your name "No thanks, please remove me from your database". We've found this works well, although I like the idea of sellotaping a brick to it as well! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
wellington womble

I found the mail preference service worked really well, and did cut my junk mail loads - now I only get stuff from things I've bought before. I take the postage paid envelope, stick a label over their address, and send my own mail in it. Seems to get there just fine, although first class ones are rare.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home