Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Nick

Hay.

How much do you reckon a round bale of hay weighs? Roughly.
RichardW

I think 200-350kg & silage at 4-600kg ish
maryf

Depends who baled it - you can set a weight on the baler!
frewen

I don't think we've said *Hi* yet Embarassed

Nice to see another Sufolk person Cool
chicken feed

Very Happy depends what size round bale we get 2 - 3 different sizes on offer here Very Happy
Rob R

Re: Hay.

Nick wrote:
How much do you reckon a round bale of hay weighs? Roughly.

What Richard said; a four foot bale is usually 4 to the tonne or there abouts. Depends how wet it is Wink
Nick

Thanks. It's all pretty dry (and stored well). Just working out how to move it. Smile
Mary-Jane

Nick wrote:
Just working out how to move it. Smile

We bung a few quid to one of the local farmers to turn up with his tractor with those big prongy things on the end and shift the bales for us.
Nick

Yeah, I did that, which is how it left my farm and ended up in his barn. I just need to shift a bale a week for the cows, and don't want to be hassling him every Sunday, or whatever. I've a wee tractor, so I'm looking to see what bit I need to add to carry one down the lane. I'm fast becoming that farmer, I guess.
Mary-Jane

Nick wrote:
I've a wee tractor...

Better get yourself a big prongy thing as well then... Wink
Nick

Naw, I'm going for the forklift on the back kind of thing, I think. More useful for shifting other stuff.
Rob R

Is the barn higher up than the cows? You could roll it Wink
Nick

I could, and it is. But, by about half a mile along a road. Not sure the Parish council will appreciate it, to be honest.

Perhaps I could smuggle the cows into his barn for the winter, and solve all of my problems at once.
Rob R

That sounds like a plan thumbright You wouldn't need to muck it out come Spring either...
Mrs R

get the cows to move it.
Jo S

My mother's rather stubborn solution involves lots of time, sacks and thick gloves. I don't recommend it.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home