Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
sgt.colon

Heated propagator

I received a heated propagator for my birthday. I'm going to use it to get my chili's on the go a little early.

Now I have never used one of these before and was wondering if I just leave it on all the time or do they get to a certain temperature and then turn themselves off? Do I need to be regulating it? That sort of thing.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks. Smile
tahir

They generally have a thermo in them so cut out once they've reached a certain temperature and cut back in when necessary. I've never found it necessary to use a heated propogator for chillies though
sgt.colon

Thanks Tahir.

Do you start your chili's in Jan/Feb? Where do you put yours to propagate?
tahir

Thanks Tahir.

Do you start your chili's in Jan/Feb? Where do you put yours to propagate?

Feb is good, unless you're going to keep them indoors. Start too early and the plants will get leggy and weak before you plant them out.

I just put them in an unheated propogator on a sunny windowsill. I think some varieties (the habaneros and fancier ones) will benefit but not stuff that I generally grow.
sgt.colon

Then I'll start in Feb and see how I get on.

I tried that last year but my success rate was very poor verging on non existent, that's why I thought a heated one would give me more hope of getting some chili's.
tahir

I tried that last year but my success rate was very poor verging on non existent, that's why I thought a heated one would give me more hope of getting some chili's.

OK, is your house particularly cold?
sgt.colon

No not really. My bog standard propagators sit on a windowsill that gets the sun all afternoon and there is a radiator just below them but last year out of about 40 seeds I think I got 2 plants which then didn't really do anything. Laughing tahir

Hmm, what compost? I assume it was a lidded propogator? sgt.colon

It was a lidded one yes. Can't remember on the compost but I think I still have some left in the shed, so I'll have a look when I get in and report back.

Thanks for your help so far. Smile
tahir

Don't use last year's compost, and try a different brand this year. I've only once used a heated propogator and always had good germination

Anyone else got any ideas?

Soil wasn't too wet was it?
sgt.colon

Okay I'll get some new compost.

I didn't think it was too wet but then I could be wrong on that. I do remember there being lots of condensation in the propagators. Should I allow that?
tahir

Okay I'll get some new compost.

I didn't think it was too wet but then I could be wrong on that. I do remember there being lots of condensation in the propagators. Should I allow that?

A little is normal. Do you have vented lids?
sgt.colon

Yes I do. tahir

Then venting should ensure it's not too moist in there, but generally only an issue once they're in leaf. sgt.colon

So before sprouting it should be okay if there is quite a build up of condensation? Duane Dibbley

My Chilli germination rate was also very poor last year...I think 10 from over 50 (probably a good thing in the end though).

I have managed to keep 5 plants fruiting and flowering over winter on my bedroom windowsill (above a radiator and south facing) and they are now flowering madly.

How long is it possible to keep the same plant productive ?
tahir

So before sprouting it should be okay if there is quite a build up of condensation?

Yes, but your soil should only ever feel slightly damp, if it feels wet then you've got too much water in there
tahir

How long is it possible to keep the same plant productive ?

They're short lived perennials by nature, a few years is possible. 3 years is the best I've achieved
dpack

re electric,heat,water etc

please be careful to ensure the machine is in good condition etc Wink
OtleyLad

Heres what I do and generally I get high percentage germination from my heated propagators.

1. Fill pots/tray with compost within 3cm of the top.
2. Soak through.
3. Allow excess water to drain off.
4. Place seeds on top of wet compost.
5. Cover with dry compost (depth depending on size of seed - bigger seeds need more cover).

Don't add any more water until the seeds germinate and show through compost.

Any build up of condensation on the lid should be removed to avoid dripping onto the soil.

Using this method has meant I haven't lost any seeds/seedling to damping off for years.

Propagators can warm up the compost fine but what they can't do is cool it down. If you leave a heated propagator on a windowsill or in a greenhouse it can get really hot if the sun comes out and cook your seeds/seedlings. If you are out all day you might not know this and wonder why your seeds don't germinate or your seedlings wither away.

Unless your propagator has a thermostatic controller on it (e.g. a control knob/dial) it will simply provide a low level of heat 24/7 and raise the compost up by about 10 degree C. That's fine if its already 10 degrees in the room. However if the sun comes out and raises the room temp to 20 C then your propagator might get to 30 - which will kill off many seeds/seedlings. Even a propagator with a controller cannot prevent overheating in these conditions. It might turn itself off, but it cant lower the temp.
To avoid this don't leave a heated propagator switched on with a lid on if there is a chance of sunshine during the day.
gardening-girl

Just what we do.
Barrie planted first batch of chillies/tomatoes at the weekend.These will end up in the polytunnel.
sgt.colon

Thank you everyone for all your help.

I think if I do use the heated prop I'll not put it on the windowsill but leave it in a light position but out of direct sunlight.

Smile
BahamaMama

When the seeds have moved out, I use my for keeping a nice steady temperature for wine-making Embarassed wellington womble

I leave the lid permanently off mine. Otherwise I got so much condensation there was mould everywhere. Also, things need to come out as soon as they have germinated, or it can make them more leggy (I think this was specifically tomatoes, but I follow the advice for everything now). It kick starts some things no end - especially beans and squash and other softies. OtleyLad

When the seeds have moved out, I use my for keeping a nice steady temperature for wine-making Embarassed

We've used ours as an incubator in the past and it was pretty successful. We sat it on the coffee table - a great source of entertainment. Our Charlie (Springer) used to sit and watch them hatch absolutely fascinated (and a bit scared too).
Falstaff

When the seeds have moved out, I use my for keeping a nice steady temperature for wine-making Embarassed

We've used ours as an incubator in the past and it was pretty successful. -.

Do they go up that high ?
OtleyLad

We've used ours as an incubator in the past and it was pretty successful. -.

Do they go up that high ?

We did put a brewing heater in there too - the propagator topped it up and provided control.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home