Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
john of wessex

Heater or dehumidifier?

We have redone our garage room conversion.

It's a side extension so doesnt get the benefit of the warmth of the rest of the house and with the woodburner, we dont need the central heating in that often.

So, it really needs some heat of its .

We are looking at a small panel heater, but what about a dehumidifier instead. It would keep the place dry, and it seems that you get more heat out than you put electricity in.

Thoughts anyone?
goldy1

I have 2 dehumidifiers , one up one down in my house. Don't have to put heating on till mid Dec.
If I don't use the dehumidifiers the windows drip, I switched them on last week.
Jb

Re: Heater or dehumidifier?

We have redone our garage room conversion.

It's a side extension so doesnt get the benefit of the warmth of the rest of the house and with the woodburner, we dont need the central heating in that often.

So, it really needs some heat of its .

We are looking at a small panel heater, but what about a dehumidifier instead. It would keep the place dry, and it seems that you get more heat out than you put electricity in.

Thoughts anyone?

Thoughts? How do you manage to get out more power than you put in?

More seriously. I found the thread on a search for deumidifiers. Did you go with a dehumidifer in the end and if so how well did it work.

I'm considering getting a dehumidifer for the garage. The garage is partly built into the house and partly a single skin extension at the front of the house. It also has the washing machine, tumble dryer and a chest freezer in there so lots of opportunity to get damp build up. I could ventilate more but already do that which doesn't solve the problem totally and it means effectively chilling a room in the house and making the rest of the house colder. So would a dehumidifier be the way to go? pros? cons?
alice

It's not as simple as all that. You would do well to talk to these people
http://www.dry-it-out.com/
Plenty of info on the website and very helpful on the phone.
Jb

Coincidentally I'd already found that web site and rejected it as their web site didn't appear to even make a distinction between compressor and dessicant dehumidifiers. I'm sure they sell both but as there was no filter to select one or the other and the quick descriptions didn't distinguish them I went elsewhere.
yummersetter

A lot of the local suppliers round here are out of stock of dehumidifiers except the most expensive models.
Jb

Ok, does anyone have recommendations for a dehumidifer.

Needs to be portable as it will move between garage, studio and house.
Needs to be a dessicant model so so it can run in a cold studio or garage.
Other than that it just needs to be reliable and preferably cheap to run and buy.
(Requirements in that order)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home