Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
earthsoul

Heating and electric for my barn conversion - a clean slate

I have the chance at putting an eco friendly heating and electric system into my new barn........what would be best - I have a large field so can do geothermic....I will have wood, I have roof space for pv cells.....what do people think
Behemoth

What's it going to be used for?
vegplot

Insulate, then insulate some more.

Make maximum use of solar gain.

Reduce draughts and incidental heat loss.

By reducing incidental heat loss and using passive solar heating you long term cost savings will far outweigh those made by throwing technology at the problem.
moulesnfrites

Fit as much PV as you can afford to benefit from the feed in tariff. A £15K system will reduce incoming bill by about 40% with small changes to your lifestyle. You would get FIT payments of at least £1500 a year guaranteed for 25 years , tax free and index linked.
Solar PV nets you a return on investment of at least 9% guaranteed for 25 years and reduces your import costs and is great for the planet.

Use you generated electricity to power a ground source heat pump and you will get hot water and heating and qualify for the renewable heat incentive.

No need for oil or gas and also great for the planet.

The heat pump installers designers will need a SAP report, so as others have said insulation is critical.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home