Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Cathryn

Hedging

We need to order around 600 hedging plants. They have to become stockproof and do well in Welsh coastal weather. Jack has usually planted blackthorn, hawthorn, some dog rose which look beautiful, some assorted plum, a few hazel to try as I cannot think of any on the farm.

Elder doesn't do well. He doesn't want beech and says it isn't stock proof.

What else would you suggest that might be good for birds and perhaps provide fruit for us?
Green Rosie

Spindle, guelder rose, dogwood, crab-apple.

Not sure how tolerant thee are of your conditions though
Cathryn

They sound good although I don't think we will be adding crabapples. Feeling a bit swamped with apples at the moment. Smile We are buying them from a local grower who has grown trees from seeds taken from here. He will be know if they will do well and there is no harm in trying a few and seeing how well they do. We will be planting more next year.
Green Rosie

But the birds love crab apples Wink
Cathryn

Do you think spindle is poisonous? Some euonymous is. It has to be safe for lambs.
Green Rosie

The berries are certainly poisonous to us, although not to birds. I don't know about the leaves or berries and lambs.
Gervase

Round by 'ere it's gorse, gorse and sometimes a bit of gorse.
Cathryn

Smile Yeah and we are not buying any (Jack says more).
tahir

cherry plums, sea buckthorn, hazel
Lorrainelovesplants

sea buckthorn - viscious, pretty and edible
jamanda

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
sea buckthorn - viscious, pretty and edible

Doesn't it try to take over the world though? Does it have to be indigenous Cathryn? How about Darwin's barberry?
Lorrainelovesplants

yeah - but its for hedging - the thicker the better....
jamanda

Or plain old buckthorn - unrelated to sea buckthorn.

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/product_10161.html

"tolerant of chalky soils" suggests it may not do for you, though we have a couple of good specimens here.
wellington womble

Have a look at bucks nurseries - I know your not looking to buy, but they have oodles of hedging mixtures for ideas.
Ty Gwyn

I`d stick with what you have,
Both Hawthorn and Blackthorn make good stock proof hedge`s,with some Hazle,and Dogrose,as a mixture

I`ve the thorns in my arms to prove it.
Cathryn

There is a sea buckthorn hedge around a house in the middle of the farm.

We do need to stick with indigenous species and we will as Ty Gwyn suggests stick with what we know works but I was just wondering if we could add in a few that would be particularly tasty (hence the various plums that have been ordered).

Thank you. We will talk to the nursery. It's at Hafod, near Ysbyty Ystwyth. Some of you might know it. Remote and lovely.
wellington womble

Have a look here edible hedging collection at the bottom of the page for ideas
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home