Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Suddenly moved to Denmark

Hej fra Denmark

Hello - just moved to Denmark (long story but on a bit of a whim) with 6 dogs into a serious "work in progress" house with some land in a very rural area.

Need to eek out money and as I'm not working (my Danish is non existent) have time and energy to do stuff I never have before... after I've got central heating in house and a bathroom!!!

Think this forum might be my saving grace for missing British sausages amongst other things Wink
sean

Welcome aboard. Very Happy I'll just nip and remove your duplicate post.
Rusticwood

Hello from Devon hello2
Tavascarow

It wouldn't be the missing of sausages that would get me but the price of alcohol!
Wink
Welcome from sunny Cornwall.
Smile
gz

Croeso from Wales!

You'll have to work on your Danish-I've forgotten all I learnt- I had a penfriend and Danish friends here 45 years ago..but learning was easy enough.
It will be easier still for you as you have opportunities every day to listen and practice!
Green Rosie

Bonjour from France

Definitely agree with getting out talking to people to help with the language. My French is so much better when I spend time with native French speakers. Give me a couple of weeks of English only and it goes to pot Rolling Eyes
Sally Too

Welcome! Did your beautiful squad of dogs go with you to Denmark? They'll keep you busy exploring the local area I'd say!

Ooops - just read "with" six dogs! So a couple of greyhounds in there.We had a lovely rescued greyhound for years. Such a gentle kind gal she was too.

It wouldn't be the missing of sausages that would get me but the price of alcohol!
Wink
Welcome from sunny Cornwall.
Smile

Wine is cheaper Wink I got 3 litres of good Australian Chardonney yesterday for 70 dk Very Happy So is all booze apart from a good Scotch whiskey! Oh and tobacco...
Went

welcome from Asturias.... Very Happy

It all sounds very exciting Smile

Yep, all 6 dogs came with me (Mondeo Estate, ferry, interesting journey...) but only one is a real greyhound. Two others are Greyhound x Saluki and I have whippet x collie ex working lurcher. Then a collie x working cocker and a medium sized multi-national thing Laughing

I'm hoping to be able to find a language class as it might be a good way to meet other people new to the country too. The big problem though as soon as I say so much as a word in Danish everyone either switches to English or looks at me blankly Rolling Eyes
lettucewoman

welcome from the New Forest...I love Denmark, used to spend every other summer holiday there when I was a child, where are you? Most Danes do speak good English in my experience... Very Happy

as a child I learned a little Danish but forgot which country I was in and often said tak or toosen tak to people here!

I would love to visit again some day..I have "cousins" in Copenhagen...

welcome from the New Forest...I love Denmark, used to spend every other summer holiday there when I was a child, where are you? Most Danes do speak good English in my experience... Very Happy

as a child I learned a little Danish but forgot which country I was in and often said tak or toosen tak to people here!

I would love to visit again some day..I have "cousins" in Copenhagen...

We are on Tasinge about slap bang in the middle of the island so quite a long way south.

Young Danes tend to speak English, older ones don't round here. But I do need to get a grip of Danish to see what work I might be able to pick up and I've bought some very random food so far!
gz

It is the same with learning Welsh or any language-
so many think they'll make it easier for you by switching to English Confused

Persevere, you'll get many "brownie points", especially when you've started going to lessons and get a bit further before running aground!

Best of luck with your new venture. A fresh start is always exciting, even if it is hard work Smile
12Bore

Hello and welcome hello2 Nicky Colour it green

welcome Smile LynneA

My basic knowledge of Dutch and German allowed me to have a passing understanding of Danish when my tour repping desk was next to a scandinavian firm.

Favourite Danish word - boghandel Very Happy (It means bookshop)
Kenworth

Hello from SW Michigan.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home