Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
sarahp1

Hello from a growing enthusiast

Hello to everyone... stumbled across your group on account of Mochyn's Old Chap's article on his Gravity fed irrigation system. I am making plans to set up something similar for my polytunnel.
I am a dabbler... have an allotment where I grow pretty much everything I eat (although I've never succeeded in growing enough carrots nice enough for eating AYR), poltunnel, 2 bee hives... and always up for a new project. I've been experimenting over the past few years with preserving and home brewing - aiming for variety and trying to make what can be eaten in a year (after a few false starts and a gallon of Rhubarb chutney). I studied agricultural science (plant breeding specifically) at uni and am stilling figuring out how to transfer that knowledge into practical growing, but I can put money on knowing as much if not more useless information about strawberries than anyone on earth Smile Current hype in my little world is around biodynamics (which I am hoping to go out to NZ to study soon), mushroom growing and foraging (been turning the internet upside down trying to source porcini/cepe spawn), successional and companion planting. Favourite product for the small holder: Nemaslug, Most exciting veg in my garden: def. the asparagus though the most successful has to go to the broccoli which I have had heading now since May last year and still going Smile.
Looking forward to getting you know you all. Sarah
Chez

Welcome! wave
sarahp1

ty Chez
NorthernMonkeyGirl

hiiiii Smile

Funnily enough I am venturing into biodynamics myself. I've yet to be convinced of the descending moon's effect on turnips, but I needed some kind of planting calendar, so why not?

Be interesting to see what you come up with!

As for strawberries - I had two alpine ones trying to ripen just before Xmas, is that normal? Laughing
sarahp1

Your stawbs were late yes, but then it has been very mild and I think the alpine ones are day-neutral i.e they will set fruit providing they are warm enough.

I don't know much about biodynamics yet. As an undergrad we were presented with a study contrasting the profits and expenditure of conventional, organic and biodynamic and biodynamic was the winner by far - it has intrigued me since then. I have considered buying the compost preps (such as bd500) as there is a uk supplier, but just using these seems like only doing half the job. I am hoping to establish a BD based business one of these days, but as they say - dreams are free. And I am thoroughly ignorant of turnips...
Kenworth

Howdy from SW Michigan. Cool
Tavascarow

Hello & welcome from the far South West.
Smile
Went

Hello and welcome from Asturias... Very Happy
Rusticwood

Hi from Devon hello2
sarahp1

Very Happy
Chickem

Hi! hello2
gz

Croeso from South East Wales Smile

I grow sort of bio-dynamically, when I can afford to get the calendar Laughing

It seems to work and also helps to organise me into doing stuff, which can't be a bad thing Cool

Whereabouts are you? Smile
sarahp1

Warwickshire
Liz in Ireland

Dia duit hello2
Frazzled_Barbie

Hi there and welcome salute

Angie

Ps.....please share your secret to broccolli growing......my attempts are awful Embarassed
Green Rosie

Bonjour from France Very Happy
T.G

Hi there ..from perishing, the Peaks Smile
AnnaD

Hello from Scotland! Smile
sarahp1

With Broccoli the key is successional plantings... with keeping the slugs, pigeons and cabbage moth larvae off is a close second. At the start of the season I sow partitioned seed trays, 2-3 seeds a tub, then transplant when they are 5 inches high. As soon as it gets warm enough I sow rows outside for transplanting later in the season (usually as my broad beans come out).

I use nemaslug and hand picking for slug control when the plants are young, and netting throughout the season for the birds. There is another nematode product I use for the cabbage moth that works wonders.

I lost a lot last year in the severe conditions (the thaw in early Dec in particular), so this year put the last transplants into my polytunnel as the tomatoes came out... ofcourse I haven't needed them but that's Murphy's law for you.

On a slightly tangent point, I read somewhere last year that if you jar up some slugs till their demise and make a slurry of it, it sill work the same as the product I use. I did this a few times at the end of last season and it seems to work... just be mindful not to open the jar in an enclosed space - reeks to high heaven. Might work with the cabbage moth larvae too?
Nicky Colour it green

welcome
gz

Warwickshire

good, someone in the middle...good for the ds courier network Cool
Frazzled_Barbie

With Broccoli the key is successional plantings... with keeping the slugs, pigeons and cabbage moth larvae off is a close second. At the start of the season I sow partitioned seed trays, 2-3 seeds a tub, then transplant when they are 5 inches high. As soon as it gets warm enough I sow rows outside for transplanting later in the season (usually as my broad beans come out).

I use nemaslug and hand picking for slug control when the plants are young, and netting throughout the season for the birds. There is another nematode product I use for the cabbage moth that works wonders.

I lost a lot last year in the severe conditions (the thaw in early Dec in particular), so this year put the last transplants into my polytunnel as the tomatoes came out... ofcourse I haven't needed them but that's Murphy's law for you.

On a slightly tangent point, I read somewhere last year that if you jar up some slugs till their demise and make a slurry of it, it sill work the same as the product I use. I did this a few times at the end of last season and it seems to work... just be mindful not to open the jar in an enclosed space - reeks to high heaven. Might work with the cabbage moth larvae too?

Thanks Sarah for the tips - will have to give it another go. I think I will try the nematode route this year - I cant pick the flaming slugs and other critters off quick enough
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home