Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
towerhill

Hello from Pembrokeshire

Just a quick hello to all the folk here on downsizer.

We are based on our smallholding nr Broad Haven in Pembrokeshire. Really trying to make it work this year. Just got my 1st polytunnel up - so we can now decorate the porch (which has been acting has greenhouse since we moved here).

With 6 acres we have enough space to make a living here. The idea is to get about 4 polytunnels up over the next couple of years and supply organic herbs to all the restaurants down here. They all bang on about "locally sourced" ingredients. 4 acres currently provide paddocks for our horses.

Already have a holiday caravan set up which is starting to pay for itself. I do the the odd website (was a web developer in my past life) and a bit of labouring to a keep the cash coming in. My partner Amanda works part time as a health visitor so at least we can be sure that the mortgage gets paid.

Downsides include being constantly skint, we have not been on holiday for 5 years and seldom get a chance to get out due to feeding the animals.

Upsides include feeding the animals being outside, working with nature, no neighbors and 3 of the best beaches in Wales within a mile campfires and treehouses for my son.

Also don't try to straighten lawnmower blades with your bare hands while they are still attached to the machine - take them off and put them in a vice - I'm typing this with a cast on due to a broken thumb. Seven weeks of not being able to wash up.
sean

Welcome aboard. Very Happy
sean

You've got a mistake in your website address BTW. Wink
towerhill

Fixed. Thanks
Louisdog

Welcome Smile

I lived near Roch in Pembrokeshire for five years, until August 2007; a lovely lovely part of the world, and I agree with you on the fab beaches.

How long have you been there?

Do you allow dogs in your caravan, do you have a link with any details on it?

We used to come to Broad Haven often on a weekend, to walk the dogs and have some lunch at Nautilus, not sure if it's still there though.

Cheers
Alex
Penny Outskirts

Hello Very Happy
towerhill

Hi there Alex,

Just take the /blog off my website link and you'll find details of the caravan.

cheers

Andrew
Louisdog

Thanks Andrew. Do you take dogs?

Cheers
Alex
towerhill

We do if they are well behaved, keep out of the bedrooms and do not chase cats or chickens. Very Happy
chez

Welcome hello2
Bebo

Hello
welsh veg grower

Hi

seems you are enjoying being a smallholder. I love my smallholidng here on Anglesey, had a polytunel several years and its been the best buy ever.

We are now selling up an moving as hubby has a new job down in Lampeter so we are looking for a small holding down there. Its me that keeps the smallholding, pigs, chickens, veg etc although I need help with the heavy stuff and hubby (moniar) helps were he can.

everyone is great on here, loads of help and advice. welcome on board.
carlseawolf

welcome to the forum , nice looking smallholding you have there.
towerhill

Thanks for the replies...

Yeah I do enjoy this live. Although there is the constant fear if it all going wrong (but isn't that just normal human angst).

I am spending this morning trying t get my potatoes in the ground whilst I have a cast on my arm. Luckily I have a great 9 year old boy who is keen to help (if I can get him off his PSP).
Blacksmith

Hello ! Very Happy
Cathryn

Hello Andrew, hope you enjoy it here. Smile
towerhill

Yeah,

I'm sure I will,your all very welcoming. Looking around here there is a diverse group of folk who visit.

Managed to get the spuds in Smile
Nanny

welcome from me as well

don't have a smallholding as such, just a 40 acre pony trust

got to make it pay though-like you.................
Ginkotree

Hello and welcome,its amazing what you can do even as an invalid, bet that cast will Hummmm when its taken off, warn the nurses there could be a good crop growing in there by then..
Mary-Jane

Hi there from across the Teifi estuary in Y Ferwig, just outside Aberteifi in Ceredigion. Very Happy

Dr. Rob on here lives in Moyelgrove not far from you. We know Broadhaven and Little Haven.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home