Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Tarrel

Hello From Scotland

Hello everyone. I have just joined this forum, having "lurked" here for a while gaining lots of useful information in advance of installing our wood-burning Rayburn. This is now installed, and looking forward to sharing the "odyssey" with everyone.

I am half-Polish, my wife is English, and we have recently moved from Hampshire to a new life in the Scottish Highlands, where I look after an area of woodland.

Have a look at our blog if you want to know our story.

www.newlifeinnorthernscotland.blogspot.com

Regards Tarrel
cir3ngirl

Hello wave
nature's child

Welcome
12Bore

Hi, welcome in to DS hello2
AnnaD

Hello there Smile
gz

Welcome! Smile
More DSers in Scotland Very Happy
sally_in_wales

Welcome Very Happy
vegplot

Welcome to the forum.

We're tentatively planning a motoring holiday (as a child I remember playing this board game - it was old then) in our newly acquired Mini. The place in your blog look like must see places to visit.
gil

Hi there and welcome ! Very Happy
More DSers in Scotland - yay !

Best of luck with your new house, Rayburn, and way of life.
Do join in !
Nicky Colour it green

welcome Smile
Rusticwood

Hello from Devon hello2
gythagirl

Hi from a beautifully autumnal day in Somerset. I look forward to dipping into your blog! I see your wife is a knitter - there's no shortage of talented knitters on here!
arvo

Hi! Also from Somerset.
Tarrel

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome folks! Much appreciated.
Lorrainelovesplants

Hi Tarrel

welcome to the forum,
and....I had a read of your blog - really good and interesting. Im sure as you get into your new life, the blogs will get shorter though! Wink

I quite fancy the idea of a blog...was it easy to set up? How do you pay for it or is it free?

Anyway, keep tucked up, and make lots of friends up there - winter is a LONG time.
crofter

Hello Tarrel

I read the blog post about installing the rayburn - keeping your fire burning all night should be possible, with a bit of practice.
When we used to burn peat it was easy, just loaded up with fuel last thing before bed then put the ashes from the ash pan on the top and closed the vents. Kept the fire alight for the winter. This should work with wood as well, but you might need kindling to get started again the next morning after rattling the ashes down. Or keep a supply of big chunks of oak for burning through the night, that should work - unless it's very windy!
Tarrel

Hi Tarrel

welcome to the forum,
and....I had a read of your blog - really good and interesting. Im sure as you get into your new life, the blogs will get shorter though! Wink

I quite fancy the idea of a blog...was it easy to set up? How do you pay for it or is it free?

Anyway, keep tucked up, and make lots of friends up there - winter is a LONG time.

Blog took about 30 seconds to set up, and is free. Google "blogger" for more info. If you have a google account, you can use this to sign in, otherwise you have to set up an account, then start posting!

Re. settling in to the new life, you've probably noticed that the posts, while long, are a little erratic, coming in bunches like No.12 buses! I hope to remedy this and get into a more disciplined routine of posting. That said, it's our busy time right now. We run a Christmas Wreath Making business from our woodland (www.tarrelwoodland.com), and are hard at it!
cassy

Welcome, great to see more people north of the border!

Your wreath making business sounds interesting; I guess now is your busy time of year. Very Happy
crofter

The place in your blog look like must see places to visit.

Saw this blog tonight - some great pics of out of the way places

http://moder-dye.blogspot.co.uk/
ninat

Hello- we also live in the Highlands!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home