Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
cassandra

Hello from Tassie

Hi all, I am a Tasmanian who is living the simple life (at times a little too simple for comfort during winter) here in the depths of rural Tasmania. I have been active on another forum (well known to some of your members here), but decided a change of pace would be desirable. So hello all and I hope to participate from time to time, but will mainly be lurking in the background I suspect since my seasons are different to those you experience (though I hear your summer is matching my winter at present ...) Laughing
Went

Hello and welcome from Asturias... Very Happy
Mary-Jane

Croeso from west Wales Very Happy

My great, great, great Uncle was transported out to Tasmania in the 1800s for stealing potatoes!
cassandra

What was his name? I may know his relatives (Tassie really is almost that small) I live in sheep and potato country here.
Ty Gwyn

Oh you little koala you,how are you keeping?
Nicky Colour it green

welcome Smile
Mary-Jane

Oh you little koala you,how are you keeping?

Shocked
vegplot

Croeso from west Wales Very Happy

My great, great, great Uncle was transported out to Tasmania in the 1800s for stealing potatoes!

Sounds like a fair swap.
Mary-Jane

What was his name? I may know his relatives (Tassie really is almost that small) I live in sheep and potato country here.

Thomas Pickett. He got 7 years hard labour. He spawned a couple of families out there Rolling Eyes
His actual wife, Sarah (I think - I've got it all written down somewhere) came to Tasmania to join him with their 5 children, but eventually went back to the UK, Leaving behind one of the daughters, Mary-Anne (I think) who stayed, married and had her own family. I used to write to Mary-Anne's great grandson called Jack - he was quite elderly, so I would imagine he's passed away by now. Several house moves and two divorces/separations on my part meant I lost touch with Jack - which I have always regretted Sad

I'll dig out Jack's address. I have it all somewhere in a file...
vegplot

Welcome Tassie. Just been looking at Tasmania on the web. Looks like a very agreeable place. sgt.colon

Hello Smile cassandra

HI all, and Ty Gwyn!! lol.

@ Mary Jane, If it was a daughter who remained the family name will have changed - I will follow up for you if you want...

Tassie is indeed an agreeable place - plenty of landscape diversity, very ancient soils and a fairly disorganised but productive creative community with a focus on green food sources and local production.
gregotyn

Hi cassandra, I've joined you from the other 'mob' if only to keep in touch with you! The 'charcoal girl' is also looking in here too and that miner! Nell Merionwen

Hi cassandra, I've joined you from the other 'mob' if only to keep in touch with you! The 'charcoal girl' is also looking in here too and that miner!

Hello both hello2
Spider

Hi Cassandra hello2 welcome and how you doing? Smile arvo

Hi from Somerset.

Tassie doesn't seem so far away today.

Was 31 degrees C here!
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Hello Mr. Green Ty Gwyn

Hi cassandra, I've joined you from the other 'mob' if only to keep in touch with you! The 'charcoal girl' is also looking in here too and that miner!

That Miner has been here since he got banned on the other side,lol

Doing to much Picking,they feared subsidence,lol.
cassandra

Hi Spider, Grego. Sorry - not on line that much these days, but good to catch up with you. What Miner are you all talking about? Confused I don't read the newspapers or have a telly either, so it's a mystery to me. Jamanda

The one in the picture above your previous post. Mistress Rose

Hello Cassandra, didn't notice you had joined us. Hope all is well with you. We have had a few ups and downs lately, but at present we are firing charcoal as hard as we can, and doing the odd log load in between. Will e-mail you some time soon.

We seem to have a few refugees from the 'other site' here now. Ty Gwyn, didn't realise you had been banned from there.
gregotyn

Cassandra, your eyesight needs checking if you don't recognise the 'photo' of Ty Gwyn!!( or are you taking the proverbial Mick?) cassandra

Hi Gregotyn - no I know who ty gwyn is, but like Mistress Rose had no idea he had been banned elsewhere (assumed he was talking about some industrial action about which I was oblivious). Gee Ty Gwyn they really are losing their sense of humour aren't they!! Shocked

Am betting the one member who was banned from here, has not been banned from there though - he has a certain moderator wrapped right round his little finger... Rolling Eyes
Mistress Rose

Not sure how he gets away with it, but think he posted on a site husband uses. He got badly bitten, but not, as far as I am aware, banned from it yet. gregotyn

No, I have been 'talking' to Ty Gwyn about diggers; he doesn't appear to have been banned. Ty Gwyn

Confusing this ain`t it,

When i came Here,it was after a got banned on RC a few years back,but was helped back with a lot of help from MrsL,the webby organizers there ain`t got a sense of humour,

Here is like a council job,you got to kill someone before getting banned,lol.

I think i know who you 2 ladies are talking about over there,but never realised he had been here,do let me into the secret,even if you have to PM me,lol.
gregotyn

Think 'he' may have done it now, but you never can tell. A newbie got some serious wellie-worth a trip back to look! I hope you are well and that the uk end is sorting itself out-take care.
I cannot remember where Ty Gwyn was talking about the digger, which thread, its an age thingy, whatsit, oh I don't know!
Mistress Rose

Couldn't find the thread Gregotyn. Which bit is it in? gregotyn

Mistress Rose, they have now sorted the title out; it read 'this forum should be deleted'. It is no wonder that you know who got excited, now got its title'how to save water' or something similar-caused a real stir! Mistress Rose

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. Very Happy Mistress Rose

As you said, interesting. From what I read, he got away with it again. As one of the mods asked me on one occasion if I wanted his bullying stopped, surprised at that, but still. cassandra

Surely it's their job to spot it and intervene without us all having to go running to mummy about it. After all, it's not like we have not complained endlessly for years about it ... maybe it will happen if one of the inner circle is attacked?? cassandra

Moving on to wider issues - what would you consider more important - energy to drive your gadgets, or food to line your stomach? Me, I would go with food - I can live without gadgets, but my personal survival is dependent on food. Tassie has an international rep as a GM-free (until the government changes), clean green state. But now all of our available farmland is being surveyed for - ... CSG and shale gas. Nice, isn't it. My rural retreat may soon be a gas factory.

To make matters worse, the two major parties have aligned with each other to recommend voting preferences that will basically wipe out the Green movement. And the other major independent group is run by a Mining magnate whose candidates come from the property development field. I should just shoot myself now and save myself some pain. But instead am working with a group of locals to highlight the risks to local farms in the hope that the more conservative farming community will wake up before it is too late. Sad Crying or Very sad
Ty Gwyn

Hi Jo,
Much the same is happening over here,with Coal Gasification,Methane Extraction and Fracking,possibly worse over here,as the close proximity to large populations.

Its a tough one,we need both food and energy,and the Coal industry with Australia is on a downturn,so i presume the Government see`s this Shale Gas as a gap filler till they sort out another energy policy,
Like the clowns over here.
Mistress Rose

I would have thought that Aus might go for solar and wind power. Large areas with lots on sunlight in the north, and from what you say, not exactly wind free where you are. Tas also has the advantage of having the sea not too far from anywhere, so wave or tidal power also seems a suitable way of getting power.

Sadly, most politicians can't see beyond the end of their noses, so although Aus has the opportunity to become a leading solar power developer, they seem to be letting the chance go. We can do the technology in the UK, but we are not exactly the sunniest place in the world. Very Happy
cassandra

Renewable energy would be the sensible option - and has actually had fairly wide uptake even in my socioeconomically depressed area with solar panels gleaming on several rooftops (not mine sadly as I need a new roof before I invest in that option).

I wish I knew how to post images on this forum - I found GIS mapping of both the land use options (farmable land) and the present five applications for exploration for shale, csg and other petroleum-based products. They are almost an exact match... Crying or Very sad Go to our Facebook Page 'stop unconventional mining Tasmania' will get you there

Still the campaign goes onward and upward - I am now the secretary (lucky me) due to my facility with words.
Mistress Rose

Don't have a Facebook account so can't look it up unfortunately. I hope you have a good Chairman for this one, and good luck with the Secretarying and the campaign. It certainly seems worth while going for the renewable option where possible.

I do minutes secretary and newsletter editor for our coppice group for the same reason. Years of taking notes has made me able to take notes of meetings, and I am one of the few people able to translate most of the rather illegible writing of one of our main contributors to the newsletter, as well as being able to write articles. Very Happy
cassandra

I think the advantage here is that we all have the same goal in mind, and are all experienced in professional engagement, so respect each other's views and are willing to be flexible - all characteristics absent from my previous committee!! Mistress Rose

That's good, both from the point of view of getting on, and you are also more likely to be effective in your aims. Good luck to you. cassandra

fingers crossed cassandra

Just tried to log on elsewhere to join Jim's discussion on Fraccing and discovered I am banned - when did that happen? Not something anyone bothered to let me know about, and certainly not in response to anything I have done as I have not posted there for months ... Surprised Ty Gwyn

On the case Jo,that`s exactly how it happened to me,they told a moderator that i had been notified,but that never happened. Spider

Why would they want to ban you, you've done nothing wrong. Hopefully you'll be back on there again soon as it's not nearly as much fun since you left.... and we do miss you Smile Ty Gwyn

Well no one has replied so far,in-fact its dead there,

Just a thought,maybe Alison could look into it,as a Mod there as well.
Spider

Marks is normally on there about 6am ish...hopefully he'll sort it out then. alison

pm me the details, and I will have a look for you.
Ty Gwyn

pm me the details, and I will have a look for you.

Thank you Alison,
The details are in Cassandra`s last post,she tried to log in there,to join in the Fracking thread,but thinks she`s banned,yet over there,when you click on her name,her profile comes up,and one member reckoned her PM system works,when i got banned there,i was disappeared.
cassandra

Hi Alison, I have PM'd you the details. Thanks for crossing boundaries, lol. Fracking is a major issue just starting to raise its head here in Tasmania (a state that markets itself on its fresh air and high water quality) so could result in economic ruin for the sustainable industries that are starting to flock to our shores. Sad Mistress Rose

Not sure if they have been having problems over there. I have been able to see and post one or two threads then it takes forever to load, so I have given up. Tried to reply to a thread asking where we all were, but it just wouldn't take it.

Think some of the people who have been here too have told them that several of us have migrated.

Hope you get it sorted if you want to get on there again Cassandra. As you say, this is very important, particularly if sustainable industries are being attracted to Taz. We share the worry about water quality round here; in fact a landfill site was stopped because it could have contaminated the aquifer.
cassandra

Alison is on the case - no point getting worked up till we find out what is happening there... cassandra

Well it seems I am officially banned there after all. Not to worry, I will email Jake and point out it would have been nice to be informed - still I can still receive and exchange PMs which is nice as I would like to stay in touch with some of the people there. Don't make a fuss on my behalf as it is really not worth my while - perhaps we can have a more informed discussion on Fracking here? Mistress Rose

I have just registered a protest, so probably will be banned too. Pity, as it seems several of us are missed, you and I at the top of the list.

You may not be able to get PMs for long, as Jojo said it was a glitch that yours was still working. I think most people know you have migrated here though.

There is a thread for fracking in the main part of this site, but can't remember which subject. You might like to put your stuff there, or start another thread about what you are doing.
cassandra

Bum Oh well I suppose it was too good to last...

I will look elsewhere on the forum since i am trying to avoid Facebook tonight (and emails). Ta
cassandra

So tell me where this fracking conversation is - I can't see it under any of the obvious headings ... Ty Gwyn

It`s a bit inconspicuous,the title is called,

Fracking,lol
Barefoot Andrew

It's in the DIRM section.
A.
cassandra

Thanks Andrew - Jim ---tssssssssssssk! gregotyn

I can't get through on the other side, it won't take the name, got your reply though, thanks, hope it is all going ok for you, soon be summer-feels like winter to me at 5am, even in August cassandra

The weather is very patchy actually Grego, but hopefully we will be getting 18 tomorrow - a lovely day for the Market and a bit of vege shopping in town - the new organic vege shop is a delight and I really hope it survives.
Hopefully the fuss will die a natural death, so not to worry. I would hate to see any of those few who wish to stay there getting themselves into trouble on my behalf.
Mistress Rose

A certain Boarstall Girl has just turned up here. I think you may recognise certain characteristics from another forum. She has posted in Welcome if you haven't seen it yet. cassandra

Yay - great news =- always good for a giggle. We may also get a visit from Cool Chick which would be great! Very Happy gregotyn

I had another go at the pm to you on we know where, but it won't play, to get in touch with you. I will keep fighting your corner whenever the opportunity arises; a little dig here and there. Where is the wink, know what I mean, Emoticon? cassandra

If you type ; - ) without the spaces you get a wink Gregotyn. The PM seems to only work one way which I agree can be frustrating. Still you have that option on this forum and it works both ways, lol. Please don't keep stirring up the muck I am taking other action at present which I hope will gain me at least an apology for that appalling behaviour recently. Meanwhile I am slowly bedding down here and consider the rest to be OVER, lol. Spider

I hope it's a public apology that you get from them, It's the least they can do after the way you were treated Rolling Eyes Ty Gwyn

I hope it's a public apology that you get from them, It's the least they can do after the way you were treated Rolling Eyes

They had better hurry up an issue the apology,the contingency plan of an official picket has been arranged for the Autumn fair,lol.
Spider

I hope it's a public apology that you get from them, It's the least they can do after the way you were treated Rolling Eyes

They had better hurry up an issue the apology,the contingency plan of an official picket has been arranged for the Autumn fair,lol.

That soon Shocked It's nearly winter already, the clocks change next month... you'll have to give me the dates of the picket to book time off from work lol.
cassandra

You cheeky buggers - thanks and all that, but it might compromise the legal argument somewhat, lol. How was the market Tygwyn? We had a lovely one here and I bought lots of lovely grub, but no meat options at our markets here sadly (at least not here in the country - I guess they have it at Salamanca, but it is years since i got down there on a Saturday ... Mistress Rose

Thought Salamanca was in Spain, but I suppose if you pinch English place names you might as well have some others too. Laughing

I might pop in and see what is happening in the other place.
cassandra

Salamanca Market is in Salamanca Place which is flanked on one side by a long row of Georgian warehouses (the coast has moved a bit since then so there is a park, a road and a wharf before you get to the water these days). Lovely spot - tourism central here, but a bit too crowded for my taste (and tricky to get parking when you have to drive down from these parts to get to it. This link should take you to an image of it: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Salamanca_Place_-_Hobart.jpg

Glorious sunny day here today - 18 degrees and a sea breeze to cool things down this afternoon - wish we had weather like that every day - it was splendiferous!!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home