Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
jp

Hello

Hi, I stumbled across this forum by accident a couple of weeks ago & read all the posts - looks like a friendly & great place to be. Very Happy

As my first contribution, here is a photo of some seriously large shrooms I came across in October, When I first saw them from about 100 metres away I though they were large chalk rocks (lots of chalk around here) - imagine my surprise when I got closer! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Largest patch of horse mushrooms, agaricus arvensis (macrosporus?) I've ever seen. What you see in the picture was less than a quarter of the whole patch. the largest one, one the left, measured almost 10 inches across. I now have gallons of scrummy mushroom soup. It also made the family some v nice stuffed shrooms for dinner. Picked more over the following couple of weeks. Hope they arrive agin next year.

[img]
[/img]
Bernie66

welcome to the site my friend. You look a better mushroom forager than me.
Blacksmith

Hi JP and welcome to Downsizer. Looks like a fantastic haul.
(BTW it is traditional to invite forum members in adjoining counties to tea .... hint hint Very Happy Very Happy )
sean

Welcome aboard.
You've missed a bit when you were painting your pipes by the way. Wink
Zarza

Hi jp, welcome.

I'm amazed at what you've got Shocked Shocked Shocked

Have you "photoshoped" the picture to make them look larger Smile
2steps

Shocked Shocked amazing mushrooms Very Happy

welcome to downsizer
cab

Re: Hello

jp wrote:
Largest patch of horse mushrooms, agaricus arvensis (macrosporus?) I've ever seen.

Macrosporus I reckon. Although apparently they're not called that any more. And they do look gorgeous!
JPBearclaw

Hi JP nice haul! happy forraging.... JP Wink
dpack

tasty
jp

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

Quote:
Have you "photoshoped" the picture to make them look larger.

Hi Zarza - I would'nt know how to photoshop. Photo was taken by my father-in-law who knows even less about photography than me!

Quote:
You've missed a bit when you were painting your pipes by the way.

Drat, I thought I had positioned the shrooms to cover that up - hey ho!

Quote:
Macrosporus I reckon. Although apparently they're not called that any more.

Hi cab - yeah, I belatedly looked in my recently aquired Roger Philips book, where he mentions that the name is now A.urinascens - does'nt quite have the same ring as macrosporus, which is more in tune with the size of the things.

Quote:
BTW it is traditional to invite forum members in adjoining counties to tea .... hint hint

Hi Blacksmith & thanks also for the welcome - were you thinking of tea or soup...

Quote:
You look a better mushroom forager than me

Hi Bernie, thanks for welcoming me - nope, I doubt I'm better than you at foraging, I was just lucky this time. I found the haul by chance when I was at work, which is a huge MoD site. It's quite a good place for shroom hunting - reasonable numbers of A.campestris, a few A.augustus, loads of Boletus luridus (might be B.erythropus?) which I have'nt dared to eat yet, & a few shrooms I tentatively ascribed to Clitocybe odora (chickened out & stuffed them in the bin - Sad ), plus others I can't id yet. Nobody else at the place appears to be interested in the shrooms - so they are left to me to harvest Very Happy. With the recent frosts though there is nothing to be seen now.
Fee

Blacksmith wrote:
BTW it is traditional to invite forum members in adjoining counties to tea .... hint hint Very Happy Very Happy

Interesting...hint hint Laughing
doctoral

Shocked Shocked Shocked bigger than my giant puffball Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Beautiful specimens! I live about 20 miles away, so if you can find stuff like that, I am interested in a foray!!! Photobucket is at http://www.photobucket.com, it offers free storage for your photos and generates the links, or thumbnails for you to post here. One snag is that you do need to be able to download the pics on your own PC, so a digital camera (or camera phone) is recommended.

Welcome to the best site I have found so far.
jp

Hi doctoral looks like we are not million miles apart - happy to do a forage sometime. Most of mine are at work since with a young family it does'nt leave much time at weekends - but should be possible on a saturday if I can get permission from the boss! Groveley woods above Wilton has always struck me as a potentially good shrooming place - any good places round your way? Thanks for the welcome too.
Blacksmith

Well if I'm not going to get invited for tea, would you mind another forager joining you ? Cool
Dave.
(not that far the other side of Hungerford)
KILLITnGRILLIT

SOUP-erb Laughing Laughing Laughing
bingo

Alright

Hi JP, I'm the commercial picker in this forum (contraversial), I live 20 mins drive from you. Nice horses, do you pick other types?
jp

Hi Dave & Blacksmith - always happy to meet up with fellow foragers. I don't get as much time as I would like to go shrooming - see earleir post - but can sometimes get a saturday morning off. Anyone know any good locations - I suggested Groveley woods north of Wilton in the previous post as a potentially promising place Smile - any other ideas?
jp

Quote:
Nice horses, do you pick other types?

Hi Bingo - I pick a few others if I'm sure of what they are, but I'm no expert so the range is pretty limited.
doctoral

jp wrote:
Hi doctoral looks like we are not million miles apart - happy to do a forage sometime. Most of mine are at work since with a young family it does'nt leave much time at weekends - but should be possible on a saturday if I can get permission from the boss! Groveley woods above Wilton has always struck me as a potentially good shrooming place - any good places round your way? Thanks for the welcome too.

I live just at the base of the Marlborough downs, so my local soil tends to be quite rich and chalky. Just south from here it is greensand, which produces marvellous giant puffballs. Sounds like Wilton it is ... let me know by PM when you are ready and I can post a general message on the site for any others interested. Very Happy
doctoral

Blacksmith wrote:
Well if I'm not going to get invited for tea, would you mind another forager joining you ? Cool
Dave.
(not that far the other side of Hungerford)

O.K. with me - the more the merrier Exclamation

When suits jp?

You can send us both a private message when you are ready ... remember directions, mobile phone no. etc. and I will reply with mine. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home