Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Help me plan Toads' Paradise!

...so I can create Slugs' Hell Mad Mad Twisted Evil

I have had toads, for I have seen the odd one. I want to have so many I'm worried about stepping on them.

Would the best place for a pond be vaguely central to the main growing area? I don't mind sacrificing good soil - it's not like I'm getting much growing!
Experiences/pics/inspiration welcome. I'm thinking a log/scrap pile and a messy corner for shelter of course, but this must be away from the bindweed patch.

In the pic, red is bindweed, pale green is ground, dark green is permanent planting (apple trees to train as step overs; artichokes, herbs, rhubarb). The bottom/front/south is two "formal" lawns and beds. Light grey is paving/manhole cover.
The top left (okay, okay, north west!) is dark crumbly soil that I manured last season. The narrow left hand strip is poorer and stonier.

Smile

buzzy

The location of the pond is probably not very relevant to the slug control. When the Toads are using the pond they are not thinking much of feeding (possibly a different seven letter word). What you need is post breeding habitat for the Toads - this is where your log piles and long grass and brick shelters come in. Ponds for toads need to be quite deep - I will look it up later of Friday.

Henry
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home