Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
BoSlady

Help needed with Wood Shavings Please

Hi All,

Please can anyone help me Crying or Very sad . I live in Sunny Somerset and i am desperately looking for someone that can help supply me with good wood shavings, I have 2 horses and i am struggling to get them locally from the shops, so am hoping someone on here might be able to help me or know someone who may.
I do not mind travelling to collect them.

Many thanks

BoSLady Very Happy
jamanda

We have a couple of members who keep horses in North Devon. Hopefully one of them will be along soon and will be able to tell you where they get theirs from.
BoSlady

Thank you Jamanda

BoSLady Very Happy
RichardW

Try your local agri merchant. Most stock it in plastic wrapped bales.

Richard
Mary-Jane

RichardW wrote:
Try your local agri merchant. Most stock it in plastic wrapped bales.

Richard

Yes, we get ours like that from our local Farmer's Co-op and it's excellent value and good quality.
alison

WE get ours from Mole Valley Farmers, our local ag merchant.

They are having trouble getting them though, because of the downturn in the building trade, apparently
vegplot

alison wrote:

My family used to live in Devon/Somerset/Dorest (South Chard). I loved going to Mole Valley Farmers.
alison

I do too. Somehow I always spend more than I anticipated when I am in there! Cool
mochyn

alison wrote:
I do too. Somehow I always spend more than I anticipated when I am in there! Cool

Other women spend too much in shoe shops, handbag shops, at perfume counters...

We go to ag. merchants.
joanne

mochyn wrote:
alison wrote:

Other women spend too much in shoe shops, handbag shops, at perfume counters...

We go to ag. merchants.

or plant nurseries or wool shops or material shops or on Ascotts web site - went to buy some jars from there the other day and a new preserving pan accidentally fell into my electronic basket Embarassed - its very pretty though and has got a good solid base

Gods help me when I go to the BBKA Annual Convention in April next year - very very deep purses needed apparently
mochyn

jocorless wrote:
...Ascotts web site ...

Try living by there... Shocked
Penny Outskirts

mochyn wrote:
jocorless wrote:
...Ascotts web site ...

You live near a web site Shocked Do you mean you're a virtual person? But I've slept with you Shocked
mochyn

Penny wrote:
mochyn wrote:
jocorless wrote:
...Ascotts web site ...

You live near a web site Shocked Do you mean you're a virtual person? But I've slept with you Shocked

You know what you are, don't you, Mrs?

Just waiting for the responses now... Where is NL, by the way?
chez

vegplot wrote:
alison wrote:

My family used to live in Devon/Somerset/Dorest (South Chard). I loved going to Mole Valley Farmers.

Ditto. I sometimes schedule in an extra day just so we can visit Smile.
yummersetter

have you tried Sparkford Sawmills or Yandles in Martock?

No idea if they supply woodshavings, though, but they must generate them
BoSlady

Thank you all for your input Very Happy

BoSLady
boisdevie1

Yellow pages. Look for joiners, sawmills, cabinetmakers. They generate a lot of shavings. Good luck.
chez

I don't know if this will be of any help - but I've just been speaking to my Ma and there's a chap who farms at Fennington, near Kingston St Mary, that has started selling dust-extracted bedding bales of that elephant-grass stuff they use for power-station fuel. He's called Dusting; but she can't remember what the company they've set up is called. I've had a look on yell.co and his farm is listed, with a phone number.
Treacodactyl

Chez wrote:
I don't know if this will be of any help - but I've just been speaking to my Ma and there's a chap who farms at Fennington, near Kingston St Mary, that has started selling dust-extracted bedding bales of that elephant-grass stuff they use for power-station fuel.

Ideal bedding for elephants... Wink

This chap? http://www.fennington-fibres.co.uk/index1.html
gnome

i used to get mine from a sawmill. i know most of the country has been taken over by B&Q, but there are still a few old style woodyards to be found, and they usually sell bags of sawdust and shavings dirt cheap. i used to buy bagsfull as a cheap alterrnative to kitty litter.
moneypenny

Wood shavings

Hi,

I am looking for the same thing, try www.somerlap.co.uk
They seem to provide cheap shavings and will deliver.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home