Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
OtleyLad

Help needed with woodburning flue pipe!

I work from home - my 'office' is a wooden shed in the back garden. Its great in the summer but now its freezing!

I got myself a wood burning stove and want to light it but I can't find a sensible/safe way of getting the flue pipe through the wooden roof.
I am using 4 inch stove enamel pipes.

Has anyone got any suggestions that don't cost a fortune?
RichardW

Check out www.fluesystems.com they have just the thing for a reasonable fee. Or if you are handy then build a box in the side wall & use cob (use sand not straw in the clay soil mix) round the flexi flue pipe as it exists the shed.

Richard
vegplot

RichardW wrote:
Check out www.fluesystems.com they have just the thing for a reasonable fee. Or if you are handy then build a box in the side wall & use cob (use sand not straw in the clay soil mix) round the flexi flue pipe as it exists the shed.

Richard

I've used these people, they are good. I put a flue through a timber roof in a timber building using twin walled insulation interlocking flue pipes and the appropriate roof fixing. If you want pics I'll take some at the weekend. PM to remind me.
OtleyLad

Thanks for the fluesystems link.

They have an aluminium flashing that might do the job - it works out at 32 with vat & postage. Do you think that a lot of heat would be conducted through the aluminium and be too much for the wooden shed frame and any roofing felt overlapping the plate edges?
RichardW

Are you using single or twin wall? Why not use the red rubber ones? No heat transfer then.

I used the all metal one on a static caravan roof.

Richard
vegplot

OtleyLad wrote:
Thanks for the fluesystems link.

They have an aluminium flashing that might do the job - it works out at 32 with vat & postage. Do you think that a lot of heat would be conducted through the aluminium and be too much for the wooden shed frame and any roofing felt overlapping the plate edges?

If the stove pipe is twin walled it shouldn't be a problem. Single walled pipe may need some insulation between the pipe and the flashing. You can use a small length of twin wall flue pipe at the point where it goes through the roof and use single pipe from the stove to join into it.
dpack

i have improvised several ,a hole in a sheet of metal works well in benders etc
for 32 get a posh hole in a bit of metal Wink
boisdevie1

Would you not be better insulating the shed as well as you can?Then you'll burn less fuel.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home