Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
alison

Help needed

I HAD one hive, prolific, nice tempered etc.

Then it rained and rained, and I couldn't get to see them.

I now have 2 hives, both with loads of honey, but no sign at all of a queen in either.

No eggs, no brood in any stage, and no queen cells.

Can anyone help please. I guess I am looking for a couple of queen cells, or even a couple of frames of unsealed brood, at a push.

Help and suggestions please?

Thanks.
alison

anyone?
gythagirl

We had a similar situation last month, 2 hives queenless, broodless, eggless, and had to import some queen cells; P will be checking for eggs on Saturday. It's been a bugger of a year...

Can you get queen cells, or a new queen? I'm sure the experts will be along soon!
Tavascarow

I'm to far away to be of much use.
Have sent a message to Phil at the natural beekeeping forum.
He's in Totnes so might be able to help or know someone who can.
Midland Spinner

Is it possible that they've swarmed, the new queen has hatched, the workers have torn down the empty cell and are now waiting for the queen to mate & begin laying?
beesontoast

Alison - get in touch with Sue Dollimore in Welcombe. She may be able to help.

PM me for contact details or see http://suejimsnaturalbeekeeping.blogspot.co.uk
KevtheBee

Hi Alison,
I have had colonies like this over the last few weeks. It may be down to the weather. Queens are going off laying. If the bees are good tempered then this may be your situation ( bees are often bad tempered when they are queenless). look at them in a week and see if the queen has started laying again.

Kev
mochasidamo

Alison, sorry not to have been around for a couple of weeks: up to my ears in bees as usual.

Did these resolve? It's a shame no-one suggested looking for a few polished cells on frames mid brood nest as an indicator of queenrightness even with packed stores elsewhere.
alison

There was no brood, eggs or larve though.

It has been too wet to check them since, so they are left to their own devices. I haven't been able to locate any brrod or queen cells locally.
Midland Spinner

What progress?

At the time of your original posting I had a hive in a similar situation. I left them alone and have now got brood in all stages.
Sally Too

We lost queens in both our hives. Luckily a queen rearing group was started up by one of the local clubs and we ended up with 3 viable queens out of the endeavour.

One is way better than the other two. She was put into the hive as a sealed QC the night before we went on holiday for two weeks. (The hive was so cross by this stage I didn't have the courage to do it myself and got hubby in on the action!)

When we came back we could see sealed brood already. We didn't open up fully that day but left her in peace. Now it's a really busy thriving hive and we've even taken a frame of brood from her to try and bolster a just coping nuc.

Hope your bees came good in the end. I do think it's been a really tough year for the bees.
alison

Checked them both again yesterday.

Still hadn't located any help, so was expecting to see great reduction of bees.

Hive 1 still has no Q action. Lots of capped honey, and loads of bees.

Hive 2 has brood, eggs and larvae, so obviously Q action. Also loads of sealed stores.

I am going to wait for a warm day and combine the two hives, using the newspaper method, and also give some new fresh frames to play with, and distract them with.

Which would be better, putting the Q less hive at the bottem or the top of this arrangement? Not entirely sure how it all works, just remember doing it a few years ago at the apairy.
alison

Anyone?
Chez

I'd put the queenless one on the top, then your queen excluder will stop the queen going up to the top. Unless you want to double-brood-chamber them and give her more space to lay?
joanne

Yep Queenless on the top and then they'll chew through the paper
alison

ok, thanks.

I am going to rehome both lots, and move them both 3 feet, towards each other, and let them have new frames (some), and get them more organised. (When the sun comes back out, obviously)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home