Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Hemlock??

Purple blotchy, hollow, hairless stem. Acrid/bitter smell of crushed leaves. Hemlock??

paul1963

Yes - and it's deadly, don't touch it Sad
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I'd better pull it out of the garden then Wink
paul1963

I'd better pull it out of the garden then Wink

Use rubber gloves, bag and bin it, don't lick your fingers/suck your thumb/pick your nose etc until thoroughly washed (not a reference to your hygiene but that is the way many poisons are transferred).
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Done, thank you.
First time I've ever seen it!
Do you know if it tends to come back from root scraps? I couldn't get all of the tap root.
Treacodactyl

Whilst I'd treat it as highly toxic the details on PFAF would suggest you don't need to worry too much. http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Conium+maculatum

After all, there's plenty of other toxic plants growing in the garden.
paul1963

Done, thank you.
Do you know if it tends to come back from root scraps? I couldn't get all of the tap root.

I don't know if it does. I'm guessing you're near water there as it seems to like damp areas and stream sides.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Done, thank you.

I don't know if it does. I'm guessing you're near water there as it seems to like damp areas and stream sides.

It was probably in the driest patch I have Laughing
paul1963

Done, thank you.

It was probably in the driest patch I have Laughing

Typical Laughing
dpack

a while back i dug up several tons behind the buildings at rosewood where it had germinated from old seeds in freshly moved soil,the roots smell delicious when burning but i didnt try em,as far as i know trace skin contact is not fatal but best avoided,i suspect if root is left repeat attack will be needed,it is very good at seed production as well.

it did not seem to have harmed any stock but better safe than etc

it is an easy one to recognize,the oernanths are much sneakier at pretending to be edible
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home