Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
earthyvirgo

Hemming a kilt

I bought a pure new wool kilt (pleated) on ebay a couple of years ago and at last, it fits but it's far too long for my liking.

The thought of a proper folded hem with pleats is not appealing too me at all, trying to sew through several thicknesses and keeping the crispness of the pleats sounds like a recipe for a bodge job.

I was wondering if I could get away with a 'lazy hem'?
The tartan is perfectly aligned, so the horizontal lines are true ... if I sewed a line of very small zig-zag stitches at the length I want it, cut about a cm below, then created a small frayed edge, could I get away with it?

EV
tahir

You'd want a straight stitch not a zig zag, wouldn't you?
earthyvirgo

You'd want a straight stitch not a zig zag, wouldn't you?

Ummmm, would I?
You know far more than me about fabrics Tahir.

I guess I always thought of zig-zag stitch as something that stopped things fraying

EV
cir3ngirl

No zigzag to stop it fraying further up the kilt o would think
tahir

I guess I always thought of zig-zag stitch as something that stopped things fraying

EV

We work mostly in jersey where you could leave it unstitched if you wanted, been a while since we've done this (we used to make kilts, fashion ones not proper) but I'm sure we used to use a tight (close) straight stitch.

I'm sure someone that knows better than me will be along shortly, but to my mind the zigzag will mean it's not very tidy
Nell Merionwen

Straight stitch upon examining a shawl I have with that sort of hem.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home