Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Bazil

Heres my Beehive Composter I made today.

I made one of those beehive composters today, its a test run to perfect things, made it 3 foot by 3 foot so it is about a metre cubed.

If you read my other thread you will know that I am going to make it into a wormery aswell, need some more materials first.
ross

great work, was that pallet wood you used?
Bazil

Embarassed nope, didn't really do any downsizing on this one.

6"x1" sawn treated timber for the sides
2"x2" PSE for holding each individual sections sides on
and 6" feather edge boarding on the roof.

Oh, screws, a couple of hinges and then plenty of potential compost! Very Happy
ross

perfectly understandable that you didn't use pallets...I always try and employ them in making stuff but spend hours trying to dismantle without splitting them! I usually use a crowbar to prise apart but wondered whether it might be easier to punch the nails through instead.
that is a great looking beehive -you might get a swarm moving in!
culpepper

Wow! Thats lovely.
Smile
Lozzie

Bazil that is superb!

Are you taking orders?? Laughing
ross

Bazil,
Did you make your own plans for that? It would be great if you could share them.
Bazil

Both of the above Smile

I am hoping to make some to sell along with a few other garden items, all bespoke joinery.

I should hopefully have a website up soon.

I will sort out some plans to post later along with a quantity list, should be pretty useful as the above size composter would be about £150 worth at places like Wiggly Wigglers Shocked

I shall also tally up the cost to build minus my salary.
Treacodactyl

Don't forget you can advertise on here for free, either on the forum or on the main site here: http://www.downsizer.net/Products%10Services/
Gertie

What a lovely looking composter. Very Happy

As Treacodactyl says, get it advertised on the traders section of downsizer, Bazil. Wink
Bazil

Im on it!

Its going to be mine and Tara's side project.

Garden benchs, Composters, Wormerys, Chicken Arks, Requests.....

Going to sort out a website etc and then I'll get it up on downsizer.

Going to offer free local delivery because I think they would sell well round here ( rich and gardeners!!!), so if your in Shropshire then might deliver free to you! or if we are holdiaying in your area of the country.......

Hoping to have a big emphasis on Green and renewable so will be converting my van over to Green Diesel soon and will make some items out of old pallets, old screws, slavaged hinges etc.

I'll keep you posted!!! Smile
Bazil

Just being looking how much people charge for the beehive composters.....

Medium:
600mm X 600mm X 900mm is around £120 - £140

900mm X 900mm X 900mm (Similar to pictured) £199!!!!

I'll have the webpage up soon with pictures and prices.
Treacodactyl

Looking in the latest Harrods Horticultural catalogue a 66cm x 66cm x 91cm high beehive composter made from 1inch thick high pressure treated Scots Pine timber is £155.
ele

Treacodactyl wrote:
Looking in the latest Harrods Horticultural catalogue a 66cm x 66cm x 91cm high beehive composter made from 1inch thick high pressure treated Scots Pine timber is £155.

blimey Shocked and should composters be made of pressure treated timber, won't the horrifically dodgy chemicals get into the compost, and then people might grow vegetables in the compost? or am I being chemically paranoid?
ross

Views differ about how bad pressure treated timber is. If you google, you'll find reports of how arsenic has been found on the hands of children who played on playground equipment that was pressure treated.
However, I have it on good authority that an EU directive came in many years ago that banned arsenic from pressure treated wood in these here parts. Still not sure whether it's safe or not though! I think most people do use pressure treated timber, because it's not going to last more than a few years if you don't.
ele

ross wrote:
Views differ about how bad pressure treated timber is. If you google, you'll find reports of how arsenic has been found on the hands of children who played on playground equipment that was pressure treated.
However, I have it on good authority that an EU directive came in many years ago that banned arsenic from pressure treated wood in these here parts. Still not sure whether it's safe or not though! I think most people do use pressure treated timber, because it's not going to last more than a few years if you don't.

Thanks for the clarification, so they've gone from horrifically dodgy to possibly a bit dodgy, at least it's some progress Smile Still don't think people should ever burn the stuff, but they do Crying or Very sad that's got to be not very healthy.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home