You've got small feet?
judith

But perfectly-formed.
Penny Outskirts

It's beautifu; Judith - does it have a friend yet? Very Happy
Bugs

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! You pesky kid Judith Laughing

I didn't make any kind of tangible bet did I? Shocked

I could contemplate claiming a moral victory as I'm tailoring for size 10s...but I shall be gracious for once Wink Congratulations Very Happy
judith

Penny wrote:
It's beautifu; Judith - does it have a friend yet? Very Happy

Thanks Penny. I am ridiculously proud of it. I was a good girl and started the friend straightaway, rather than spending the rest of the evening admiring this one.
judith

Don't worry Bugs, I don't think money or other items of value were mentioned.
You will also note that I have carefully hidden the piece of wool left over from casting on. No idea what I am supposed to do with that.
How far have you got to go?
Bugs

I've got a bit of addition to do..my original pattern has me do 45 rows before shaping the toe and I think (but am not sure because I've not kept a note...any tips on counting rows?!) I have done 43; but I'm doing a slightly bigger size than the pattern and you have to work out the sizes as proportions of the original cast on stitches so I think I must do 51. Of course I think it is going to be too girly for TD anyway so I probably don't need it to be that long in the end but it's a matter of principle and I have to hang on the the few I've got.

I've a bit of a gap at the top where it was cast on and I was going to use the left over bit to fill that in then just weave it through the rest and hope nobody notices...
judith

Bugs wrote:
(but am not sure because I've not kept a note...any tips on counting rows?!)

The only thing that works for me is pen and paper and drawing 5-bar gates. That's where the dangly bit of wool left over from casting on comes into its own - every time it comes back to the front that's another row.
Lozzie

I have this vision of you sitting by a roaring log fire on Valentine's night, gazing lovingly at your ... sock! Shocked Laughing
judith

Lozzie wrote:
I have this vision of you sitting by a roaring log fire on Valentine's night, gazing lovingly at your ... sock! Shocked Laughing

I hate to say this, Lozzie, but you aren't far from the truth Embarassed
My beloved is away all week at the moment, so Valentine's night was indeed spent in loving communion between myself, the dog ... and a sock. And the fire was on!
Penny Outskirts

Bugs wrote:
any tips on counting rows?!

I use a pile of 2p's and move one accross everytime I finish a row - which works beautifully, until dog/husband/children decide to have a golly good time in the sitting room, and scatter them to the four corners Confused
Lozzie

I use my son's old wooden abacus -

Northern_Lad

Lozzie wrote:
I use my son's old wooden abacus -

Used the right way, you could do almost 100 billion rows that way. That's a big sock. Shocked
Bugs

Thanks for the tips ladies...might be a bit late for this one, but we'll pretend that hasn't happened and it will probably go away. Being a bit short on sons, I'll probably do some drawings a la Judith to start with.
dpack

it is nice to know people who gain satisfaction from raising their first socks .
may your sock flocks prosper Very Happy
judith

Laughing
Bugs

Laughing It is spring after all (and I've always thought socks have a life of their own).
Lozzie

"May your sock flock prosper" Laughing Laughing Laughing I love it!
Mrs Fiddlesticks

dpack wrote:
it is nice to know people who gain satisfaction from raising their first socks .
may your sock flocks prosper Very Happy

Laughing partly cos we all know that washing machines eat them.. Twisted Evil (only one of the pair of course)
Northern_Lad

Fiddlesticks Julie wrote:
Laughing partly cos we all know that washing machines eat them.. Twisted Evil (only one of the pair of course)

I can honestly say that I've never lost a sock in the wash. At the cricket club, sports center, etc, yeah, but never a washing mashine. Have you tried looking half way up the stairs?
Bugs

Fiddlesticks Julie wrote:

Ah, no you see, this is flawed logic, a result of old wives' tales and internet rumour, and I feel obliged to step on it.

The fact is that they don't get eaten, they actually breed.

I know we have a sock bag in which there are at least 7 socks which I have never seen with a partner and have no recollection of buying. I'm wondering if you can hand-knit sterilility in to socks?
judith

I thought the terminator gene had been outlawed in socks.

Anyway, isn't it coathangers that breed when you aren't looking?
Penny Outskirts

judith wrote:

Oh yes - except when you really need one, then they all seem to scuttle off to the deepest reaches of the galaxy, to join with other coathangers and live in well hung happiness together....
Bugs

judith wrote:

Yes, they do it as well. Like rabbits they are, only harder to catch and not nearly so tasty. They seem to have a lot of inbreeding and throwbacks as well, producing sizes that match nothing you own or have ever worn and not nearly enough broad-shouldered ones that you can hang your washing on.
wellington womble

I don't think our coathangers breed and migrate, and socks are no problem (as no-one touches them but me, so they are perfectly well behaved!) but plastic boxes breed, and exchange genetic material so that no lid fits any box in the vicinity! I either have millions or none at all, depending on whether I actually want one or not!

Congrats on the sock, judith. I;m still working on the sleeves of the cardi (flippin' real life keeps getting in the way, but I'm getting there!)
moggins

My knitting has had to take a back seat to this dammed rug. But I may venture into socks next as I need some new ones, are they hard to do and who has the pattern?
judith

moggins wrote:
But I may venture into socks next as I need some new ones, are they hard to do and who has the pattern?

Have a look at this thread.
There are links to several patterns and useful sites, plus an extended winge from me as I got to grips with the needles. My recommendation is just to start a pair of socks as the more you read about it, the more you become convinced that it is well-nigh impossible. Once you get started, it all becomes clear (eventually!).
Bugs

judith wrote:
My recommendation is just to start a pair of socks as the more you read about it, the more you become convinced that it is well-nigh impossible[/size]

That's exactly right. I've gone awfully slowly through this one, highly convinced that the writer of my pattern had been smoking the wool rather than knitting with it; but I'm quite looking forward to getting on with the next one now I know where I'm going (only got the grafting to get to grips with now!). And you know you'll have many sympathetic helpers here if you do run in to any confusion!
bernie-woman

The sock is fab!! well done you Very Happy

I have finished my first pair and have the wool to start a stripy pair with different coloured balls of wool Shocked - (pride does come before a fall doesn't it Laughing )

I too use the piece of paper for counting rows
judith

Thanks Bernie!
You are brave - several balls of wool sounds like a recipe for chaos to me.
bernie-woman

judith wrote:
Thanks Bernie!
You are brave - several balls of wool sounds like a recipe for chaos to me.

Haven't started it yet Embarassed The downsizer bag full of wool keeps staring me out in the spare room Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home