Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
kalandshel

Hi All ... Excited Nervous and worried ...

Hi there all.

OK so we're moving to a cottage in Wales ... Complete with Wood Burning Rayburn Royale (cooking only) ... It is a rental and to be honest is a but 'crumbly' but call us mad we love it! I feel like I've got a mahoosive learning curve ahead of me and really I am in a bit of a panicky flap ... 2 things which are causing me stress ...
1 The rayburn leaked smoke when we initially lit it ... though this did stop after about 10 mins ... Smoke came out of the chimney we checked ... cracked Cement possibly???

2 OMG's what are we doing????

So anyway ... we're going to be on here a lot looking for help and advice so Hi and thanks Very Happy
Hairyloon

Re: Hi All ... Excited Nervous and worried ...

1 The rayburn leaked smoke when we initially lit it ... though this did stop after about 10 mins ...

In my experience, they do tend to do that. Some say that you shouldn't let them go out, which solves all the "just lit" problems.
Lorrainelovesplants

Have you checked that the chimney has been swept?

If it still leaks smoke, Id be tempted to ask the person who is renting this property to you. It wont be just leaking smoke, but fumes too.

Welcome, by the way! Laughing
pookie

Hi there and welcome.

I would suggest/encourage you to get the chimney swept or checked if it hasn't already been...

other than that, how exciting!! Very Happy

there's quite a few downsizers in Wales, whereabouts are you?

Eta.....like buses, 3 replies at once Very Happy
Went

Hello and welcome from Asturias - steep learning curves are great, honest Wink Just enjoy it Very Happy
Bungo

Hi sounds exciting!

We have a rayburn too . When you light it make sure the chimney damper is open fully ( a slidey thing at the bottom of the small box on top where the chimney comes out)A small amount of smoke will come back out of the door while it is open while you light it , rayburns are not intended to be used with the door open .
As others have pointed out make sure your chimney is swept , and there are no obstuctions .If the chimney has a liner it should start to draw the smoke up quite quickly, if it is not lined it will be slower to draw as it needs to warm the whole chimney up first. If you burn a lot of very dry small sticks to start with this will speed things up .
Hope this helps.
Nicky Colour it green

welcome

echo what everyone else says about being sure the chimney is swept - though i understand the landlord has to state the last time it was done?

if in doubt get a sweep in, one that does woodburning ranges and they can give you lots of advice on running it too

edit for typo
Midland Spinner

Buy a Carbon Monoxide monitor ASAP. (Before you next sleep if poss)

- And Welcome Very Happy
mochyn

yep: get a sweep in. Yep: buy a monitor.

We once had flue probs with a Royal. It was a dead buzzard.

Whereabouts are you?
kalandshel

Hi there and welcome.

I would suggest/encourage you to get the chimney swept or checked if it hasn't already been...

other than that, how exciting!! Very Happy

there's quite a few downsizers in Wales, whereabouts are you?

Eta.....like buses, 3 replies at once Very Happy

We're in Newtown Smile So only just Wales Smile
kalandshel

Thanks for all the helpful comments Smile As far as I know the Chimney hasn't been swept for at least a year =/ The Landlord is reluctant to do anything with the chimneys as it has central heating so as far as he's concerned if we want to light them it is our lookout to get them swept ... The place has been empty for over a year and was effectively and thoroughly ransacked by the last tenant who didn't pay their rent and did a midnight flit ... As the LL has been stung I think he's reluctant to chuck loads of money at the place until he knows we're sound tenants as it were ... We're experienced renters and know the drill lol. We are looking at it as a double edged sword ... LL is happy for us to do what we like to make it habitable, no that's not fair ... homey is more accurate, and it will feel 'like its ours' because we can titivate it etc ... BUT on the other side ... right now our kitchen light is attached with duct tape and we have a condemned cooker Shocked and a cfc leaking fridge Surprised HOWEVER both appliances should be out before we move in tomorrow and we have a nice non fluorescent light to fit ... BTW ... one of our cats is called Pookie ... laughing6 She's a cutie

we will get a monitor though Also 3 floors between us and 'Ray' plus the place is so draughty we are practically living in a chimney lol
kalandshel

Hi sounds exciting!

We have a rayburn too . When you light it make sure the chimney damper is open fully ( a slidey thing at the bottom of the small box on top where the chimney comes out)A small amount of smoke will come back out of the door while it is open while you light it , rayburns are not intended to be used with the door open .
As others have pointed out make sure your chimney is swept , and there are no obstuctions .If the chimney has a liner it should start to draw the smoke up quite quickly, if it is not lined it will be slower to draw as it needs to warm the whole chimney up first. If you burn a lot of very dry small sticks to start with this will speed things up .
Hope this helps.

Hiya, helps a lot thanks Smile
Midland Spinner

we will get a monitor though Also 3 floors between us and 'Ray' plus the place is so draughty we are practically living in a chimney lol

Great! - but don't rely on draughts (sister lost a good friend in a huge draughty barn, due to carbon monoxide from a portable bbq) monitor is safer!
mochyn

And dp remember that smoke alarms and CO monitors are different things. You need both. pookie

BTW ... one of our cats is called Pookie ... laughing6 She's a cutie

ooooooh Very Happy

and Newtown is pretty near to Welshpool Smile There's a few of us very near!
Chez

Welcome from an ex Welshie! wave Katieowl

My Rayburn is oil...so can't help on that, but I can tell you that on some days the woodburner refuses to light, and billows smoke into the house because of the wind direction. So if you've had a one off it might be that.

Funnily enough it did it tonight, I peered through the kitchen window on the way in, and thought "God I must clean the windows this weekend" then opened the front door to discover the house filled with smoke, and the dogs sneezing. OH appeared then too....once the fire has some flame to cause updraft it sucks the smoke up and out (I usually bung some cardboard on!)

Welcome, BTW

Kate
Nell Merionwen

Hello from another displaces Welshie hello2 NorthernMonkeyGirl

Hello!
I don't have a rayburn, or live in Wales.... Laughing
Rob R

Great! - but don't rely on draughts (sister lost a good friend in a huge draughty barn, due to carbon monoxide from a portable bbq) monitor is safer!

We had a bad experience with a portable bbq once - they are lethal in anything but the wide open.
kalandshel

I agree BBQ's defo an outdoor thing Surprised It was a kind of short sharp 'blast of smoke' which dissipated and was no more, plus the chimney was really belching it out so ... We're getting wood some soft and hard and all really dry (we've been assured) but I'm having a Turkey flap ... loads of people have said Rayburns don't get hot enough to cook seems odd ... as a cooker??? Also ours has a back boiler which isn't plumbed in and will never be so ... We're wondering whether to leave it or fill it with sand (we know not to cap it off) ... It hasn't been used for a back boiler for at least 3 years so is probably dry ... but hasn't been used for a cooker for as long either ... dontknow totaly confused as to what to do ... also I've looked inside and it doesn't seem to have any fire bricks in the side but it does at the very top back ... blimey this is complex ... arvo

Hi,

Cook everything for longer in a rayburn/aga. Assume slow and long for everything. If you're interested, buy one of those in-oven thermometer thingies. That will give you a more accurate idea of what temp you're getting out of it.

Also rayburns do the world's best toast and the world's best roasties.

And I second the whole CO and smoke alarm. Ask your landlord for a beepy CO alarm (I think they should provide one) but if they don't be prepared to get one yourself.

Good luck,

Welcome to the madhouse Smile
Chez

If you have a bit of a google round, there is a chap who sells manuals for old rayburns somewhere. I think he's on eBay. They are very much a 'getting used to the quirks' kind of thing, I think.

Re not getting hot enough; with solid fuel, it's all about how much you are asking it to do, and when. You can get them to cook a Sunday roast, dry out your orphan lamb in the bottom oven (remembering not to shut the door), heat you a bath and run four radiators; but not all at the same time. If you cook the roast, THEN have your bath, then put the lamb in the oven and expect the rads to get what's left over, it all works fine.

I agree with Mochyn's Dead Buzzard Hypothesis - get it swept and take it from there. Also worth remembering that whilst the chimney is cold, the smoke gets half way up and then cools and sinks again. Once it warms up, it sucks up to the top.

And, just thinking outloud, is the chimney cowelled? I don't understand the mechanics of it; but our cowl is knackered; and the sweep who came out on Monday said you that if the cowl is gone, then the chimney is more effected by the wind - in our case, the wind had set the thing on fire.
kalandshel

If you have a bit of a google round, there is a chap who sells manuals for old rayburns somewhere. I think he's on eBay. They are very much a 'getting used to the quirks' kind of thing, I think.

Re not getting hot enough; with solid fuel, it's all about how much you are asking it to do, and when. You can get them to cook a Sunday roast, dry out your orphan lamb in the bottom oven (remembering not to shut the door), heat you a bath and run four radiators; but not all at the same time. If you cook the roast, THEN have your bath, then put the lamb in the oven and expect the rads to get what's left over, it all works fine.

I agree with Mochyn's Dead Buzzard Hypothesis - get it swept and take it from there. Also worth remembering that whilst the chimney is cold, the smoke gets half way up and then cools and sinks again. Once it warms up, it sucks up to the top.

And, just thinking outloud, is the chimney cowelled? I don't understand the mechanics of it; but our cowl is knackered; and the sweep who came out on Monday said you that if the cowl is gone, then the chimney is more effected by the wind - in our case, the wind had set the thing on fire.

OK ... Cowelled ... Right ... laughing6 love that you have faith I know what that is ... It has a top on it which looks like a T with holes in each end ... Is that a Cowl???

We are going to get the Chimneys swept, but probably not until New Year when cash will be a bit more plentiful ... Rolling Eyes well like we'll have some sort of thing lol ... Also we're going to bug the LL until we get CO Meter out of him ... We had one at last place above the very old and very rattly Glow Worm Boiler ... it went off at least once a week ... The 1950's gas fire in the living room set it off too ... We played 'lets see who goes Cherry Red first' last xmas ... pale So after that we had a CO meter installed in every room ... Our old LL's still said there was nothing wrong with Boiler ... So glad we're out of there our Gas Bill was 174 month Shocked

Oh PS ... Am I right in thinking I won't be able to burn Tailbrite etc without fire bricks???
kalandshel

ooooooh Very Happy

Great we can have a coffee club Smile
Bungo

I filled the boiler on our rayburn with sand as it is not connected as there is a risk of burning through the boiler , which will subsequently let fumes out/air in . Who ever said rayburns are not hot enough to cook on was talking nonsense. We only burn wood, and have not cooked on our electric oven/hob since installing the rayburn , will a good fire in it it will boil a large kettle nearly as quick as an electric one , and the oven is refered to as the cremator it gets so hot. Penny Outskirts

ooooooh Very Happy

Oh dear, you may have to become a slut... I don't think they do coffee, but they do cakes,lots of cakes Smile Welcome to DS
Jamanda

Gin - they do gin. pookie

ooooooh Very Happy

Oh dear, you may have to become a slut... I don't think they do coffee, but they do cakes,lots of cakes Smile Welcome to DS

Oh yes! we have a tea and coffee and cake club. We are the Montgomeryshire 'Domestic' sluts (not the other sort Wink ) we meet fairly regularly and take it in turns to host coffee2

Gin - they do gin.

Do we? I've never been offered any..........must be going wrong somewhere.... scratch
Jamanda

Well, you should do gin. How about Limoncello? Mithril

Hello! It all sounds very exciting - good luck with it Very Happy mochyn

Because they're usually during the daytime slutmoots don't often feature acohol. There is, however, plenty of cake, coffee for me, and tea for the inferior beings. pookie

and tea for the inferior beings.

Surprised Have you been on the gin?
mochyn

Booze? Moi? pookie

Booze? Moi? Laughing Chez

The gin is taken by the people who no longer have access to the Montgomeryshire Domestic Sluts support group Smile. Pel

Hello and welcome... I see this thread has already given you an insight to DSers.. There is tons of support here, and like its been said plenty of us all over wales, and close to you.
I'm down next to the sea in west-wales.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home