Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
PickSarah

Hi guys. Complete noobie here!

Hi all, ok so I don't have any pets (landlord says no Sad ) or live stock. I live in a flat above a shop. I have never foraged and haven't fished since I was a little girl. I know nothing of going on a shoot nor have I tried much game.

So what am I doing here?

I want to learn and I'm enthusiastic and eager!

Saturday is my birthday and I plan to spend some of it at Formby Point, Merseyside (treat to myself), at the very least searching for Razor Clams (from what I've read on this site I'm not holding my breath, but dammit I'm looking anyway!)

I would love to be able to forage for anything and everything in my local area. If only I could identify the things that are available! I plan to fill my roof garden (lol) with pots once I know what I can grow in them! I love food and love to cook.

I've really enjoyed reading both the articles and posts on this site and I'm jealous of the lifestyles many of you have. But I also appreciate the hard work that must come with it. Most of all I appreciate all you guys have to teach and the information DS and its users offer.

So thank you for everything I've read so far and everything I'll learn in the future.
gil

Hi there. and welcome to Downsizer !

It'll be spring soon - time for nettle-tops, wild garlic, and ground elder ! Foraging is great - is amazing how much stuff there is out there.
PickSarah

Hi gil. Nettle tops and wild garlic I'm excited about, even if they both seem to be a bit marmite ish with some people from what I've read. Ground elder I know nothing about. But I'll keep learning!
pookie

Hi there PickSarah and welcome to Downsizer!

Are you going to Freshfields? I used to take my children to the beach there, and spot the red squirrels!

I hail from near you, just south of Preston, now in Mid Wales Smile
PickSarah

Hi pookie, yeah that's where I'm going. One of my favourite places other than Woodhead Pass in the Peak District that seems to have some magic calming effect over me!

I've never been with the sole intention of foraging or just generally looking at what's available though. I don't drive so I'm going with a friend who, after watching a video on youtube, has decided he is staying in the car because "them clam things look vile"!

Nice eh?!! Laughing
Nicky cigreen

welcome Smile
PickSarah

I've just realised that Formby Point is probably part of the National Trust reserve so maybe searching for razor clams isn't such a good idea? Sad
Rob R

I think you'll be alright, as long as you don't bag a squirrel. Wink

You're certain upholding a long held tradition...

Quote:
At Formby Point, coastal erosion of the foreshore has revealed the footprints of humans (adult and child), animals (aurochs, cattle, red deer, roe deer, unshod horse, dog / wolf, wild boar, sheep / goat) and wading birds (crane, oystercatcher and rail) preserved in laminated silts. These have been dated to a period some 7,000-5,000 years ago. In total, 184 human footprint trails have been recorded to date. Study of the trails indicate that the women and children were mainly occupied in gathering food (e.g. shrimps, razor-shells and other seafood). Male footprints are sometimes directly associated with red and roe deer tracks, suggesting that the animals were perhaps being hunted.
jamanda

Hello there hello2
Green Rosie

Bonjour from France - I'm having wild garlic in my leek and chicken risotto tonight. It really is scrummy Very Happy
Rusticwood

Hello from sunny Devon hello2
Tavascarow

Welcome from Cornwall.
There are many simple to identify plants that are tasty.
If you are completely unsure someone local to you will probably do foraging courses.
Or failing that take photos & post them here.
We have some very knowledgeable wild foodies in residence.
wishus

Welcome from me in Northamptonshire Smile
12Bore

Good morning, and welcome from just down the road a bit! hello2
Went

Hello Sarah and welcome from Asturias.... Very Happy
bibbster

Welcome from West Wales... I was brought up in Formby, and a regular haunt was the pinewoods with red squireels and the beach Smile . *nostalgic sigh*
lettucewoman

Hello and welcome from the New Forest! I used to live "oop north" in another life and knew Formby quite well.. Very Happy Very Happy Have fun!
vegplot

Welcome Sarah Very Happy
pookie

Hi pookie, yeah that's where I'm going. One of my favourite places other than Woodhead Pass in the Peak District that seems to have some magic calming effect over me!

I've never been with the sole intention of foraging or just generally looking at what's available though. I don't drive so I'm going with a friend who, after watching a video on youtube, has decided he is staying in the car because "them clam things look vile"!

Nice eh?!! Laughing

Ooh lovely! enjoy Smile
arvo

Hi from Somerset,

Another ex-northerner here. I think you're fine at Formby as long as you don't bring any Natterjacks home. Smile

My Nan used to have a caravan at Formby so I spent many a happy summer up that neck of the woods. I love all the spiky dune grass, really reminds me of that.

Have fun Smile
Mrs Mouse

Hello Very Happy
Kenworth

Hello, and hi from SW Michigan. Smile

I've never had or seen a razor clam, so make sure you take pics and post them for us to see!
gz

Croeso from South East Wales Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home